Control/Dimming Express 250 v3.1 Bad Disk Error

click

I'm working with an ETC Express 250 console which recently developed a problem formatting or recording floppy disks. Either operation yields a "Bad Disk" error.

The floppies are DS/HD and have worked in this console in the past without issue.

I'm about to try cleaning the drive with compressed air, but would like to learn where replacement drives are available and if they are user-replaceable. If there are other troubleshooting techniques, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks.

Floppy disks and disk drives do wear out from use. The heads in a floppy drive actually do touch the surface of the diskette and eventually the magnetic material on the diskette becomes ineffective. The heads, after many uses (usually years) also begin to have issues with reading the small magnetic levels from the media. In any case if the media is at fault, simply purchase some new ones (they are getting more difficult to locate though). If the drive still reports errors, then it can be replaced. If it is the standard PC floppy drive it more than likely uses a standard connector for the data cable (34 pin dual in line ribbon cable) and a small 4 pin power connector. If it is a laptop style thin drive it will use a flat flexible conductor style cable. Hopefully someone from ETC can assist in opening the case and identifying the type of drive for you.

Good Morning click

Most of the "bad disk" errors I've had in resent past was due to....... bad disks
Its hard to find floppies these days. The " store brand" aren't worth much.
Call ETC for replacement drives. Thier prices are about the same as your local comp store.

Last edited:
I also keep seeing this pop up. It certainly has it's drawbacks (price for one) and I'm sure quirks, but is an interesting direction for those of us trying to keep those Express consoles in service:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-for-ETC...hting_Controllers_Dimmers&hash=item35c1b98b38
I asked the ETC tech staff about these last time I was at training, They are " looking into it"
ETC does not recommend this type of modificaton.

BTW I've seen these at a better price, just look a little deeper

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the ETC tech staff about these last time I was at training, They are " looking into it"
ETC does not recommend this type of modificaton.

BTW I've seen these at a better price, just look a little deeper
See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...7-etc-expression-2-x-3-0-replacing-drive.html .

Back to the original question. If a drive fails to format or read/write a new, never been used floppy, it's time to replace the drive. Drives AND disks are available from ETC (see the thread above).

Even though it seems like a viable solution to a failed floppy drive, I'd be cautious installing one. ETC currently continues to support the Express consoles and can probably replace a bad drive, as well they purchased a whole boat load of floppies a few years ago

This e-bay solution is not cheap either. Plus after you install this, ETC is no longer able to help troubleshoot problems, which they can do with a floppy.

I think the scariest part of that replacement piece of equipment is the cautions about it possibly corrupting the internal drive if the USB drive is removed when power is still on. USB in its standard form is removable with power applied, so whatever they have conjured up is a non-standard application of the USB protocol and can theoretically damage something through the original floppy interface (at least software-wise). Who would trust something like that in a production environment?

I have not heard of anyone who has successfully used this usb-floppy adaptor either, just people asking if it works. I wouldn't want to be the first one.

I think the scariest part of that replacement piece of equipment is the cautions about it possibly corrupting the internal drive if the USB drive is removed when power is still on. USB in its standard form is removable with power applied, so whatever they have conjured up is a non-standard application of the USB protocol and can theoretically damage something through the original floppy interface (at least software-wise). Who would trust something like that in a production environment?

It's somewhat less a concern with the Express in that there's no internal HD on the console. Still would be leery of using one that wasn't ETC supported.

Since floppy drives are getting harder to find, remember to check out local thrift stores, they get lots of older computers and are at the point of dumsterizing them.

Back to the original question. If a drive fails to format or read/write a new, never been used floppy, it's time to replace the drive. Drives AND disks are available from ETC (see the thread above).

I've seen unused floppy disks go bad just sitting in the box. Yes, it is strange, but it happens.

I've seen unused floppy disks go bad just sitting in the box. ...
How do you know they weren't bad to being with? :twisted: /devil's advocate /Schrödinger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back