Foam Carving Classes

sarahsliefie

Does anyone know of a good foam carving class near south east PA or possibly online. We have gotten into carving most of our set structures out of billets of EPS foam most of 6' X 4' X 15' it has already saved us extreme amounts of time, but we want to learn better methods, and I want the shop carpenters to see others do it.

Here is a bunch of internet tutorials Youtube Link. Essential tools would be an adjustable hotwire bows, rasps of various sizes and my favorite is the flame thrower. Ask Garrett over in Art and Finish he will tell you all about our foam rock sets we built. He never let me use the flame thrower tho :(

Last edited:
Amiers, Garrett works in the next office from me. We have been working together on this and he is the one that orders the foam for the sets. Most of the shop crew is use to building up and does not have a strong grasp on carving out. We are trying to help them better their individual skills.

Did you go to UW with Garrett? I did two years there before coming out here.

Did you go to UW with Garrett? I did two years there before coming out here.

I did not, I was lucky enough to work with him for 5 years at Starlight Theatre. Foam carving is an art you have to have a good 3d eye or a really good map top and all three sides but even then you still have to be creative or it turns out a bit wonky.

Did you go with us to MI for the USITT Midwest regional event 3-4 years ago? I was the guy driving the van! Theater is a small world.

We have started using e 3D printed to scale models of what we want. It makes it much easier so you can look at it from any angle you need. most of the carving is cone with Chain saw, Hack saw, knife, and then sanding. we have extremely poor ventilation so hot knife is a poor option. The talent is there but the skill could use some work.

Did you go with us to MI for the USITT Midwest regional event 3-4 years ago? I was the guy driving the van! Theater is a small world.

We have started using e 3D printed to scale models of what we want. It makes it much easier so you can look at it from any angle you need. most of the carving is cone with Chain saw, Hack saw, knife, and then sanding. we have extremely poor ventilation so hot knife is a poor option. The talent is there but the skill could use some work.

Yep I believe I did. We left at like 3 in the morning. I am surprised with the vastness of SnS that you guys don't have shop space with ventilation. A hotwire bow would definitely help giving a much cleaner cut and cut down on time and mess. The alternative would be to do it outside I guess. As far as increasing skill the old saying goes practice makes perfect. If yall have the basic then really its just honing from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back