Light-o-Rama Dimmers for Professional Use

Jeff Lelko

Hi all,

So quick question here and the title pretty much says it all - does anyone have experience using the Light-o-Rama commercial dimmers in professional applications? I'm looking specifically at the LOR1600 unit. Understanding the current limitations and what's needed for it to accept DMX, this seems to be an affordable solution for an outdoor dimmer without having to spend over $1k for only 6 channels. I guess I'm asking - what am I missing? If they're so economical why aren't these more visible in the pro lighting industry? Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jeff

Two issues with early units is that they popped on and did not have a very smooth dimming curve. They may have corrected this by now. What do they do for noise isolation? Aren't these something like 150w per channel?

I'd say the main reason is power. 16 channels with a max of 30a and 8a per channel?

Thanks for the replies. I definitely agree that these don't have too much current capacity. I've heard bits of complaints about the possible lack of substantial isolation, so that'd be a big concern for me. The only reason I'm drawn to these is that they're okay for outdoor use (within reason). I also noticed that LOR sells the enclosure as an independent item as well, so would mounting one of my 4ch dimmers in there be a good idea? I'm inclined to think ventilation might be an issue, but beyond that, might that be a way to get water resistance while being able to use a quality dimmer? I'm also not installing anything outdoors - just for temporary use (one or two days) on outdoor jobs.

-Jeff

would mounting one of my 4ch dimmers in there be a good idea? I'm inclined to think ventilation might be an issue, but beyond that, might that be a way to get water resistance while being able to use a quality dimmer?

Disclaimer: I have not looked in to the enclosure you mentioned. That said, I would definitely provide for some ventilation. A small PC fan exhausting any heat build-up should do it. Just note that dimmer packs are not rated for mounting in an enclosure (that I'm aware of). Even a shroud covering the top, sides, and back should work.

I'm assuming you're just using the little 600x4 packs? What kind of load are you putting on them? Thermal issues will vary greatly depending on whether you're maxing them out or just running a few small par 38's.

Hi all,

So quick question here and the title pretty much says it all - does anyone have experience using the Light-o-Rama commercial dimmers in professional applications? I'm looking specifically at the LOR1600 unit. Understanding the current limitations and what's needed for it to accept DMX, this seems to be an affordable solution for an outdoor dimmer without having to spend over $1k for only 6 channels. I guess I'm asking - what am I missing? If they're so economical why aren't these more visible in the pro lighting industry? Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jeff

The Light-o-rama website says:

"Worried about the electrical inspector? Don’t be. Our commercial grade lighting controllers are UL508 certified. Why is being so certified so important? It’s all about safety. We’ve invested the extra time and effort to make sure our circuit design and production facilities meet the high expectation of Underwriters Laboratories and they have taken the time to certify this product to live up to their standards."

First, there is no UL category called "certified". A product is either "listed" or "recognized".

Second, the UL online certification directory does not appear to have Light-o-Rama Inc. lisited.

Third, there does not appear to be a UL label or any label from another NRTL on the product.

Before purchasing this product, I suggest verifying whether or not it is UL Listed.

ST

Not to judge a book by it's cover (well, I guess that is what I'm going to do), but I think the first indication to quality would be the name "Light-O-Rama". And as Steve noted, Certified sounds sketchy. It is like commercials for health products that say "FDA Recognized", take it with a grain of salt.

Light-O-Rama was designed for the animated Christmas lighting community, so the name isn't out of line. They are used in the Disney Osborne lights, among other non-hobby shows.
/mike

A little concerned that I don't see anything that looks like filter chokes in them....
proxy.php

Two issues with early units is that they popped on and did not have a very smooth dimming curve. They may have corrected this by now. What do they do for noise isolation? Aren't these something like 150w per channel?

They're designed for Christmas or low power Lighting displays. Not as crucial live event systems. Also are you sure it takes DMX IN and not just output

Thanks for all the input thus far. That is very interesting about the 'UL Certified' statement. The more I'm hearing about these, the more I think I'm getting my answer - okay for Christmas lights (as designed for), not so much for stage lights. Electrical noise aside, the presumed lack of UL listing and non-native DMX input makes me think I'll keep using the dimmers intended for theatrical lighting.

As far as what I'm using for lighting - just the generic halogen Par 64s and 38s, so yes, I'd be running these packs to full capacity which probably isn't great for them... I also know it's rather bad practice to get these lights wet, but they can handle the unexpected downpour a lot better than an unprotected dimmer pack can!

General rules on Shoebox dimmers:
1) Keep the loads below 600 watts per channel, even if they have 10 amp fuses on each channel.
2) Keep the total pack load below 1800 watts (for 4 channel units)
3) Watch out for packs with a detachable power cord, often the chassis mount male only has a 10 amp rating.

As for wet PAR64s, although we get away with a lot as they are pretty durable, moisture and mist are one thing, but direct cold water hitting a hot lamp is quite another. Make sure all the cans have safety screens and pay careful attention to grounding and connectors when water comes into play, especially if they are in a location where a person can come in contact with them or the metallic mounting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back