Light Up Stairs

Doing Seussical and have an idea of having a set of stairs have each step light up individually when stepped on it. Doesn't have to be automatically triggered by someone stepping on it, yet could be controlled by the board op. Any ideas on how to do this? From LED strips that are dmx controlled? Any ideas appreciated!!

Are you wanting these to be multi colored or just a single color for all of the stairs?

EL Wire would be a good choice if you know what color you want. Rolls of RGB LED tape can be bought pretty reasonably and would probably work fine as well. Keep in mind that most reasonable choices of either product will require a specific voltage of DC power. If you'd rather go the AC route it might be worth your time to call up the guys at Light Tape and see what kind of package they can offer you.

My larger concern would be controlling the effect. Do you have enough spare dimmers to control each step individually? If you don't have the spare dimmers and will be supplying power by other means you'll probably be best served getting one power supply large enough to power everything and switch the feed to the steps individually. You could probably get a variety of toggle switches and have someone do the effect by hand in the wings (I would STRONGLY advise against connecting AC to a toggle switch ). You can get a multi-channel DMX relay card to control the effect from the lighting console, but it's probably the more expensive option.

Hi - Robert from Pathway here.
If you have spare dimmers and a powersupply for each step that might be the cheapest. If you have a power supply large enough you can get 12 x 2amp relays for about $520 (list) in this product. That would just be on/off obviously. If you want dimming, use this product for the same price but it's just 6 dimmers. Our friends at City Theatrical have lots of LED dimmer and tape options you should look at too.

For LED tape, one approach for control is to use a 12v power supply and LED tape-specific "DMX decoder." This is essentially a little 3 or 4 channel 12v dimmer. The power supply would run you ~$20+ and the decoder ~$40-$70 depending on options. You'd need a set of these for every section of tape you want to control separately. If going one color, you could use one PS and 3-chan decoder to run 3 steps.

Tons of places to get this stuff. Here's one I've used:
https://www.superbrightleds.com

Also, Amazon, Ebay, and all kinds of places. You might find it cheapest on Ebay if you have time to wait on the slow boat from China.

Note than some decoders read DMX via ethernet cable. Some have that and 3-pin XLR. MAYBE some have 5-pin. But it's easy and cheap to make/buy a XLR to ethernet converter and then daisy the decoders with ethernet cables (Cat-5).

One caution: using LED tape can get you into a lot of somewhat delicate soldering. It can be mostly avoided with various snap-on connectors. My advise would be to allow enough time for two rounds of ordering. In my experience, as we were installing we discovered lots of little parts we wished we had.

I'm going to taken the incandescent option and say built light boxes, sand the plexi to diffuse it, paint it what ever color you want, and stick two 100w light bulbs in there. Control with your floor dimmers if you have some.

Last edited:
I am just going to throw this out as a possibility or what I would do. It is kind of contingent on a few factors that may not be available to you.

I would consider wiring each stair with pressure switch connected to a RasberryPi. I would have the pi running a program that spit out an OSC command that would trigger the lighting for that stair.

Obviously this would require that you know how to program for a raspberrypi and that you have a lighting desk that can accept OSC commands. But it would be pretty darn cool, and it is the kind of thing I have been thinking about being able to do.

I'm going to taken the incandescent option and say built light boxes, sand the plexi to diffuse it, paint it what ever color you want, and stick two 100w light bulbs in there. Control with your floor dimmers if you have some.

^^^ Just to add (my 2 cents worth) to this...

If you're building custom boxes or stair treads, and the effect you want is for each tread to illuminate when someone steps on it... I say automate it. :)

Use a piano hinge or something along either the front or back broad edge of the step. Leave the other end floating. Place a limit switch inside the light box. (Similar to the "stomp switches" on guitar pedals, but get a momentary switch, not a latching.) Wire the lights through the switch -- they're usually rated at least 5A, which is plenty for a pair of lights, and overkill for LVDC like LEDs or EL strips.

When the performer steps on the tread, it'll depress the stomp switch, automatically closing the circuit to the respective step light. When they step off, the return spring will pop the switch back to the "OFF" position and shut off the light. The edge of the tread would only need to move about 5mm or so, which no one... not even the person walking on them... will notice.

This also frees your lighting operator from having to closely watch the performer's feet and manually sequence the lights. It also frees up your lighting control channels, as the whole system would be fully automatic. It also reduces the number of electrical wires running across your stage -- only 1 cord needed for the whole staircase, rather then a cord for every step of the staircase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back