Control/Dimming Low Amp dimmers

Thats your basic DJ dimmer. You can buy them for under a hundred bucks just about anywhere. Consider them disposable.

Thats your basic DJ dimmer. You can buy them for under a hundred bucks just about anywhere. Consider them disposable.
Yeah we've already gone through one of them so I know they are not going to be part of my rental package and the price is not news to me and it's perfect because production tends to not throw a fit when its under $100. But the question is still the same. Does anyone have something else they would recommend?

Just keep them under 600 watts and no more that 1800 total for the pack and they will probably last awhile.

Ditto what JD says. We have 24 Amdj units in our space, most bought used, some of which have been in continuous use for 2 years (we have something on one of our stages every weekend) and have no problems provided you stay under the limits and treat them kindly.

You gotta watch out a little with these in terms of quality. In my experience there is med-low quality and crap quality when it comes to these. The Leviton D4DMX and similar packs fit into the first category. They have relatively smooth dimming curves, employ a very modest toroidal choke and perform reasonably well for a while if not overloaded. These days I'm finding that these seem to be retailing for around $200-$225 regardless of brand.

In the second category would be those packs that are not really even DJ quality in my opinion. I came across one recently that had been acquired for less the $100 and it lacked toroidal chokes completely and the dimming curve was very odd. By the time I had the fader at 20% the lights appeared to be at about 50%.

The next step up from these would be the Lightronics packs which still use triacs, but have a much more rugged build overall.

After that you get into the true SCR packs like the Leprecon ULD-360 and Leviton/NSI DDS packs.

Somewhere in one of the old threads, I took a picture of the guts of a couple. About 6 years ago I bought a couple of the Elation packs (~$140) and one "Optima" pack (~$85). The build quality was night and day. I did upgrade all the triacs to 25 amp. Despite the cheapness of the "Optima" pack, all three are still working. I really hadn't expected the cheap pack to last the summer. The Elation packs had a good build. Of course, what I'm used to was the old, old dimmers, where you would find a pair of back-to-back 65 amp SCRs in a 2.4Kw module. By comparison, everything these days looks cheap. Funny thing is how well the modern stuff works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back