Mac 2k Lamp Errors

LPdan

I have 2 Mac 2k wash fixtures that will not strike known good lamps, and display lamp error on the panel. A relay can be heard clicking when lamp on and off commands are given. I have tried swapping a known good lamp socket. Any ideas or troubleshooting tips?

Ignitor comes to mind. Open PF capacitor would be the other thing. Unless the HV pulse is there to strike the lamp, the logic will notice that an arc was not produced in a given time and it will throw an error. Since the lamp is know good, the other four suspects are wiring/fuses, Ballast, Capacitor, and the ignitor. (My recall is this is a magnetic ballast.) If it was the cap, you would probably hear the zap of the ignitor trying to strike. Since all you hear is the click of a relay, then I question the ignitor. Can't rule out wiring as it is a moving light and thus a lot of flexing goes on.

The ballast could be ruled in or out if I had the wiring diagram handy which I don't. If it is a stand-alone ignitor then the ballast is probably ok. If it is an ignitor that uses a ballast winding to kick the HV, then the ballast can't be ruled out.

Again, all based on it being a magnetic. Electronic ballasts would be a different story as those pretty much do everything on board. The PDF I just looked at says Electronic, however I am not sure this applies to all units.

Last edited:
I replaced the power supply in the base of the unit with a known good one, and also verified that the 2 thermostats in the head near the lamp are closed. I do not see any light coming from the base when sending a strike command.
The only other component I can think to try replacing is the potted module in the side of the moving head, is that the ballast? Any other ideas?

If you're seeing no spark at all and you're sure about you're components I would take a good look at your wiring harnesses. The cable they use is pretty delicate and easy to damage and could be preventing a sensor from reporting back that it is safe to strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back