Mixers/Consoles Mackie ProFX16 Sub Out's

KBToys82

Hey everyone

Just to give you some background on how our system is laid out before I get to my question. My school just bought a Mackie ProFX 16 for our auditorium. We have 2 sets of speakers, 1 using XLR main outs that feed an amp that is used for the front speakers, and the other using the TRS Main out which goes into another amp that feeds our back speakers hung on our balcony. Also, another amp that is being fed from the monitor. The 4 Sub Outs are not used at the moment. What I want to know, is can I move the 2 back speakers outputs coming out of the Main Out TRS and move them to Sub 1 and Sub 2 to create 4 distinct outputs rather than just the 2. I was looking to see if the Mackie board can just have the Sub Faders go to the Sub Out and not routed through the Mix, but it doesn't appear that way through what I was reading, and unfortunately I can't follow the diagram on the back. I don't see any button that allows me to break it out of the Main Mix.

I'm hoping to have sound effects only come from the back speakers and not the front, hence the question.

Now that I look at diagram, I do notice that above each Sub is an L and a R, which to me indicates that I can either have the Sub go to the Main Mix, or to either Sub 1, 2, 3, 4 out. I'm hoping that is the case.

I already have to do mixing from another mixer from the back of the house to this mixer since it is located behind the stage where it's impractical to have a technician work from.

Yes you can do this. I did this with a CFX20 a while back to run a 5.1 surround system. I had L, R, LR, RR running of Subs 1-4, C running off of Aux1, and the subwoofer running off Aux2. And I think I recorded off of LR.

To break the signal connection between the sub and the main mix, just un-select the L and R buttons above the subgroup faders. Then connect your speakers to the sub out jacks. Fyi the sub out jacks are always putting out the signal from the subs, whether or not that sub is connected to LR.

You might find, however, that the output volume levels are different between the main outs and sub outs. If you feel this is causing a problem for you, then I suggest use all four sub outs for your speakers and don't use LR at all ... or use it as a mix recording channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back