Math/Cadd Quiz problem - computer and drafting question

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Found out last week in drafting up a 12mm wide LED tape best fits on a 7/8" wide aluminum hex bar on the CADD, than in person tried the 3/4" hex bar, and standard LED fits better somehow on 3/4" aluminum hex stock This also with wiring within a 1.1/4" ID. polycarbonate tubing. Details for later projects learned.

I currently have a 8'-6" section of “Steel gutter” - the common size of it. I capped it’s ends using weatherstrip adhesive before crimping with pliers. Just finished a plywood jig to fully support this gutter.

I need to dip some 1.3/4" OD, 1/4" thick polycarbonate tubing into it with MEK solvent. This will etch the plastic in not just frosting, but if clean, make it white as a better inner core LED node near it inner/outer tube etched tubing around it necessary. Just enough room in the ID to add some Tough spun gel to also help diffuse and pad the chemically frosted ID from rubbing against it from the IP-65 LED tape or acrylic in this case hex stock it’s mounted to. A further scrim sock will be put over the tubing so as to hide it, and it's nodes.

Only question in this will work as a concept... how many gallons of MEK Methal Ethyl Keyone (with protection) for a 8'-6" long gutter will be sufficient to cover a 1.3/4" OD. X 1.1/4" ID pipe 7'-½" long? This in covering without having to spin the tubing or at least do 9x tubes at a time.
Done outside and with protection obviously.

How many gallons of MEK will fill a stock gutter suficiently to do nine of them? How long to leave the Polycarbonate in the solvent also a question, but easier to figure out. Perspective temperature while doing so... abou 70 degrees F.

Last edited:
Well... If you cap the end of a 9' long, 1" diameter Steel or aluminum pipe then fill the pipe and use it to dip in like quenching a sword then you only need .367 gallons:

pipe volume.JPG

Check this website if you like the idea/want to use a different sized pipe: http://www.rhomarwater.com/calculators/pipe-volume-calculator

Doing 1.3/4" O.D. Polycarbonate. Had considered capping a say 4" dia. steel pipe but at 7' long, it does not seem reasonable. "Forged in fire" one of my favorite shows. Learned soo much from it even if I don't make knives.

Will know tomorrow how well it works.

Reactions: Van
Doing 1.3/4" O.D. Polycarbonate. Had considered capping a say 4" dia. steel pipe but at 7' long, it does not seem reasonable. "Forged in fire" one of my favorite shows. Learned soo much from it even if I don't make knives.

Will know tomorrow how well it works.
HA! You knew exactly what I was thinking! Love Forged in Fire!
Of course if you use a post hole digger and dig a 4' deep hole you'll only have 3' sticking up above ground....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back