Musical theatre audio.

Anyone that has experiens of wireless lav mics 2.4 GHz (WiFi) for musicals/singing ? Good becaus it's licens free all over the world.

Behringer got a modell called ULTRALINK ULM200LAV. I also know that Line 6 has awell but they have big problems with dropouts.

I would rather use VocoPro than Behringer's wireless mics. I have no experience with the Line 6 stuff, but I knew people using their digital stuff for measurement mics. Personally, I would shy away from WiFi bands, though I have no solid evidence to back it up. I just feel like there's too much crap spewing RF in those bands. If you're looking for something with decent frequency density, I think ULX-D is the best bet right now, though exponentially more expensive than the Behringer crap.

Especially in theatre, wireless mics are the one thing you shouldn't cheap out on. The last thing you want is to have a mic dropout when Diva McLeadingactress is onstage for her penultimate solo. The range on the cheap stuff isn't that great, they don't sound particular good, and they break easily. A minor pet peeve is the cheap ones use 9V instead of AA batteries. Shure has relatively cheap systems with the SLX series (they lack in features, ie gain settings, RF meter, but they're pretty durable), and the Sennheiser stuff isn't bad either (my preference is the 500 Series and above Sennheiser, but most venues around here are using Shure ULX or UHF-R).

Some people seem to love their 2.4GHz wireless mics, others seem to have experienced all sorts of problems with them. I know that I have worked with several universities and coporations that will not consider or allow such systems without their IT staff being aware of them and able to remotely manage or control them, if they allow them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back