Need advice - Martin M1

Buttmonkey

So I'm 18 been doing this since I was 13 and I'm starting to learn how to patch lights on the M1 Martin's board. Any tricks to this board or just general advice for patching and curing?

Well, the basic idea behind patching is that you're taking what may be the random and confusing mess of dimmer numbers and addresses, and ordering them in a way that makes sense to you by assigning them channels. So your front light might be dim# 321 432 500; but you can assign those to channels 1,2,3.

Honestly though, with newer boards it is not as necessary as it used to be. I will patch my fixtures in groups by type because that's the easiest way, but once I build the 2d visualizer/magic sheet, I all but forget about the channel numbers. I can drag and drop selection buttons on the touchscreen to wherever makes sense.

Bottom line is you are organizing your lights and board so that when the director/designer says "I need a pool of blue light DSL" you can quickly and efficiently make that happen.

Well, the basic idea behind patching is that you're taking what may be the random and confusing mess of dimmer numbers and addresses, and ordering them in a way that makes sense to you by assigning them channels. So your front light might be dim# 321 432 500; but you can assign those to channels 1,2,3.

Honestly though, with newer boards it is not as necessary as it used to be. I will patch my fixtures in groups by type because that's the easiest way, but once I build the 2d visualizer/magic sheet, I all but forget about the channel numbers. I can drag and drop selection buttons on the touchscreen to wherever makes sense.

Bottom line is you are organizing your lights and board so that when the director/designer says "I need a pool of blue light DSL" you can quickly and efficiently make that happen.
Ya I went into work this morning and had the second in command teach me what do and made me understand how it worked. Thanks though, glad I can understand the lighting gibberish.

There are a wealth of tutorial videos on youtube:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back