New Type of Omni Directional casters

MPowers

A short while ago, there was a post about a platform that had to rotate and also move across the stage. The OP was thinking about ball transfers to avoid the well known problem of swivel casters and the force needed to re-orient the casters at the beginning of a direction change. Of course several people mentioned Turtles or Zero Throw casters.

Another, very interesting, caster has been brought to my attention, and the claim was that they are less expensive than the Turtle type. I cannot verify that as of this posting. The web site indicates that the wheels can be purchased separately and mounted in your own forks, converting your current casters.

Omni Wheels, Multi Directional Wheels, Omnidirectional Wheels, Robot Wheels, Holomonic Wheels, Ball Transfer Units

I have yet to try them, and I am curious about noise. How quiet would they be? I have seen these type of wheels used on commercial fork lifts, so strength and reliability would seem to be OK.

Anyway, if anyone has the time or $$ to try them out (think Grad School research project) I'd love to hear the results.

Came Across the following post on SML.

Different animal than a zero throw, but take a look at Rotacasters. They
are a nice alternative. A couple of caveats:

The ones that meet your load requirement don't meet your budget requirement (160kg load rating, about $50);

When they roll, they're not quiet;

You don't need to worry about swivel clearances as you do with regular
casters. If you can mount them, the piece will roll.

We used them for an aluminum truss-like scenic piece. There were about eight actors and the unit itself rolling on twelve of them. It moved smoothly with no problems.

Last edited:
160 K wimpy??? That's 350 lbs. The average theatre caster is about 250 lbs. If you check the entire page there is a 220K version. Also, these are used on commercial fork lifts so heavier versions are obviously available. Also, the term lateral load refers to the actual side loading on the caster during movement, not to the weight capacity during a side ways movement. I would think the lateral loading restriction is due to the nature of caster forks being designed with two parallel plates as the support. Very strong in the direction parallel to the plates but less so in the direction perpendicular. A 1/8" steel plate gusset and a welder in the shop could cure this issue. Just thinkin'.

They look a lot like those Airtrax. But not quite the same.
proxy.php

160 K wimpy??? That's 350 lbs. The average theatre caster is about 250 lbs. If you check the entire page there is a 220K version. Also, these are used on commercial fork lifts so heavier versions are obviously available. Also, the term lateral load refers to the actual side loading on the caster during movement, not to the weight capacity during a side ways movement. I would think the lateral loading restriction is due to the nature of caster forks being designed with two parallel plates as the support. Very strong in the direction parallel to the plates but less so in the direction perpendicular. A 1/8" steel plate gusset and a welder in the shop could cure this issue. Just thinkin'.

I know, 350 lbs. is less that what we need. Plus lateral loads are going to be an issue (ever unloaded trucks onto cobble stone?). Still 10 points for a neat product. Good find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back