Operation guides or procedures

BillConnerFASTC

I'm working with a school to help them develop a guide document on the operation of the stage and auditorium. Everything from proper attire (for safety) to specific protocols for operating rigging. I wondered if anyone here had such a document where they work or could comment on the idea.

I don't have the document with me as it's in another state, but there was one company I worked for that oversaw three production buildings. As part of the training there they gave us a half-inch thick emergency procedures book that detailed the incident chain of command from top to bottom with detailed descriptions of the roles of each member and what their responsibilities were, whether or not that position would come from an outside agency (i.e. fire, police, etc) and if that person was unavailable who would assume that role, and where the audience and staff should egress to in the event of an evacuation. It also included a listing of every pull station for the fire system in each building and where each fire extinguisher in the building could be found and what type of extinguisher it was. For example Fire Extinguisher, Class A, House Left Mezzanine Stairs by the elevator.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it's the closest thing I've come across in my short time in the industry that sounds like what you are after.

At my current university we do have a (unwritten?) rule in the scene shop that all personnel, including practicum students, are required to wear closed toe shoes while working. Maybe worth including that in there for the proper attire section.

One question I would ask would be what kind of school is this? High School, College, other?

i think the big thing for Emergency protocols would be since it's a High School. Who in other departments needs to be contacted for which type of issue should be something that is figured out. (ie. There is an electrical problem who is the schools head Electrician, If There is a fire does the head of maintenance need to be contacted along with the Dean and maybe Superintendent.) things like that.

For other safety measures. Does the school have a Genie lift. Who is allowed to drive it. During non show times who is allowed to operate the Fly Rail. Any Roll Doors that are in the Space if they have some.

Proper tool use / Training on Power Tools.

I agree with Crazytechie with outlining where all the fire extinguishers are/Pull Stations/Smoke Detectors

This is rather basic, but covers some of what I feel is important.
We have contact lists by each phone. By default we can call our campus police and they will contact any needed facilities personnel.
Stage managers are given a more in depth guide to dealing with situations.

Attachments

• Safety_Guideline Edit.doc
    28 KB · Views: 243
Thanks. Can't seem to open this on my phone so will look tomorrow. I do sense this may focus on fire, as other comments do, when many other hazards cause many more injuries. Falls just on stairs, for instance, are responsible for 100 times the injuries from fires.

Yes, it should cover who is called for what, but I'd like to work on preventive measures, like who can operate rigging or power tools and how are the trained and kept proficient.

We're also covering things like purchasing things, paints and solvents, contracting for work, inspection routines, etc.

Concerning the safety/response aspect - would it be prudent to get the school's risk assessment department involved? They might already have some policies and procedures in place which may affect the proposed Emergency Response Plan.

Let me reiterate, this is not an emergency response plan. It's intent is to prevent emergencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back