Painting tip and cat toy.

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Lee Valley company sells some painters' jack like things useful for painting or staining. (Interesting company especially for super powerful magnets and carpenter type stuff.) Thought the concept brilliant and obviously also a set of child’s jacks would also work if the ball tips were more refined. Give the ball from a set of jacks to your cat in it carrying the thing up and down the stairs constantly so as to watch it bounce down them. If your cat as per one of mine, he loves his superball and will spend hours in carrying it up and down the stairs so as to watch it bounce.

Concept is a sable base yet the surface painted or stained lifted off the countertop so you don’t get that under-bleed, than on the reverse side when flipped over, a point that won’t effect a still soft surface.

Jacks with refined and sharpened tips would do this, but so also I have found will some 2x2 scrap lumber. Scribe the lumber to 3/4", and have the scriber ready for the first edge of the finished cut off. A chop saw set to 45 degrees, cut the two square edges to the 45, than mark one of the cut surfaces to another 3/4". Cut the next two cuts in perirmid shape based off this line. Accuracy isn’t crucial either.

Move the chop saw back to 90 degrees and cut it off based on the cuts from the cut edge lining up with the start of the swivel plate cut off - around 1/8". This added space is useful in these blocks being a bit more away from your surface. 3/4" verses 1" spaced from your table is in that extra spacing useful.

Once cut, sand the edges a bit and round over the flat bottom corners. This will sustain your work for a more long lasting without breaking shape.

Do lots of these blocks with pointy tip, one as with clamps can never have enough. A bin full of such blocks that on the three point support system not of equal heights is still useful for painting of materials. Three point suspension or four point with wobble while painting if miniabilized is very useful in keeping the material off the surface, and this support further helps in speeding up the flip over time such materials require for drying.

Using them in painting my current, 12 leaf barn doors project to some Mole Nook lights that started with four barn door leafs but that wasn’t useful for me in spill. Hmm, a barn door that’s really useful in shutter cut. All panels with fold out shutters. The shutters cut, painted on such blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone has difficulty deciphering ship, if I understand correctly, he's suggesting building one's own these:
pyramidsawhorse.jpg
painterspyramid1.jpg
Toolmonger » Blog Archive » Painter’s Pyramid

Or using these:
jacks.jpg

As it says on Lee Valley's page,
Elevating a project on a board with nails or screws driven into it is an old finisher's trick that gives access to multiple surfaces at once.
I've often made my own Fakir's bed o' nails, using scrap ply and shooting a bunch of nails or staples (twice as long as the thickness of the stock) through it. Paint side A, put that side down on the points of the nails, then paint side B and the edges. Depending on the paint/finish, minor touch-up is often required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back