Sight and Sound Theater (Lancaster PA)

I'm sure the lighting and sound systems are impressive, however all that tells you is that they potentially draw a lot of power, it says nothing about their performance or the associated results.

People always like to advertise how many watts of lighting or sound they have but I am personally much more impressed by someone being able to achieve the same results as efficiently as possible rather than potentially bragging about how inefficient the systems are.

Agreed. But, having witnessed the show I can vouch that in 40 years of doing lighting (as well as attending many shows), the artistic use of the equipment in this case was not hindered by its size. Generally, the best use of lighting produces a result in the observer that evokes the intended emotion while fitting in so well that the use of stage lighting is not even noticed. Although, there were some intended "wow" scenes, for the most part, the observer would not even think about the stage lighting. For me, I am always keenly aware of the logistics involved. To pull off the "inside the arc" scene, where the entire 2000 seat audience is surrounded by the arc on three sides, and all of its animal stalls, without any detail falling or lost in the shadow, was a true work of art.

Even those that do not have the slightest interest in the religious aspect of the show should try to venture out to see this one simply as an appreciation of the logistics of the design. Those of us who have spent our life banging our heads against the wall while working out a problematic scene will get the biggest kick!

Excellent video showing the lighting and sets change-out at the theater.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks John for posting that. You know what I'm thinking.....Lancaster, PA would be a great place for a USITT convention, can you imagine tours of Sight and Sound, plus 20 minutes away you have Clair, Tait and Atomic.

Excellent video showing the lighting and sets change-out at the theater.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

WOW !.

I have seen this theater from the highway, always seemed quiet. Who knew it's essentially Radio City PA. Every friggin ML gets broken down and cleaned ?. I can see that at change-over time and they must job in a ton of folks for this., they cannot keep or need all those people for the run, can they ? That's a lot pf crew for Lancaster, which otherwise has zip going on.

Amazing is all I could say.

There are a few contractors for some of the building modification jobs, but most all manpower is the shop teams, deck crew, Rigging teams and lighting. For a premier show we are down for 2 months. For a remount we can do it in as little as 2-3 weeks.

I like seeing the Hard Hats.

Still really want to get out there and do a tour. It's -just- far enough away to be tricky to schedule! Was out for Noah and for Miracle of Christmas, and both were unbelievable for a technical viewpoint! Will be back out there for Moses as well.

The place may look quiet when it is between shows, but when they are running, it's buses as far as the eye can see.

Awhile back my grandmother sent me some information about S&S. She lives out in Lancaster... and now they are also building a rehearsal arena for Tait and Clair Bros. It seems that Lancaster is slowly becoming somewhat of an entertainment location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back