Theatre consultant recommendation

On top of recommendations for theatre consultants, are there any published resources, books and the like, that lay out recommendations for folks planning a new theatre? I got forwarded an email from a group who is looking to create a blackbox space and was looking for some advice. On top of recommending them bringing someone in to help shepherd them along, what are some resources I can send to them as they begin to talk to a developer?

On top of recommendations for theatre consultants, are there any published resources, books and the like, that lay out recommendations for folks planning a new theatre? I got forwarded an email from a group who is looking to create a blackbox space and was looking for some advice. On top of recommending them bringing someone in to help shepherd them along, what are some resources I can send to them as they begin to talk to a developer?

When you say "...as they begin to talk to a developer..." all I see are red flags. Developers are about profits, and the performing arts rarely is. Of the 5 or so projects I have worked on where a developer was involved, like maybe accommodating a local group as part of a larger development, none ever made it off the talking stage and I have learned they make their money by not paying people. Perhaps you should recommend they talk to management of another theatre that involved a developer, if they can find one.

Thanks Bill. My recommendation to them was to answer for themselves some questions as to who would use the space and what they hope the space will serve, and then pointed them towards the ASTC members page to find a consultant. But I've long held an interest in the design of theatre spaces (having worked in a number with great features and not so great features), and I've had trouble finding good resources all located in one place. We'll see how this project goes.

When you say "...as they begin to talk to a developer..." all I see are red flags. Developers are about profits, and the performing arts rarely is. Of the 5 or so projects I have worked on where a developer was involved, like maybe accommodating a local group as part of a larger development, none ever made it off the talking stage and I have learned they make their money by not paying people. Perhaps you should recommend they talk to management of another theatre that involved a developer, if they can find one.

Hopefully, they can get an qualified consultant to help - maybe even a one day workshop session. As I have lamented previously, these smaller budget (at least it appears to be) spaces with fewer professionals are the ones that probably most need the really good help. As I recall, ABTT (Brit's USITT) has or had a program offering limited review at no or very little cost. Wish USITT could offer a program like that. I've thought about something along the lines of http://www.theatredoctor.co.uk/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back