windmill power generators

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Working with the local high school recently in making windmills. IT section in being more about the how to part than the science, or easy science part of doing it.

Did a bit of research today and found lots of info that was fascinating in how to do a windmill for power. Seems really easy to do and I might were I not in a condo association that allows for ugly satellite dishes but would no doubt not allow for me in doing such a thing. In supplying parts to the school, and researching the alien subject to me thus doing research in windmills, many websites just let the power cord free twist inside the mast of the windmill without considering safety or even resistance of twisted power cord to ability of windmill to the wind direction in changing direction.

Got myself deeper into the project now in asking about and thus now having to make a 12v DC power relay to resistance detection circuit and cut off’s etc for safety or if over 12v (14.4v) as a standard for charging sufficiently the inverter, what happens by way of controller to prevent a higher wind in overcharge or blowing up gear somehow is my responsibility.

Windmills and DC power are of course alien technology to me.
Anyone with tips or done this before? Seems so far they have way higher over RPM and voltage motors than reasonable motors than would make for a good 12v battery current so far as I read. Lower RPM and voltage motors seem better for such a thing so far as I read.

Anyway, four hours of study so far into a subject. Anyone done research into such stuff before?

Know it's about voltage hours, say if AC inveter converted in testing this squarrel cage type windmill verses traditional type, Amp Hours on charged 12v battery in conversion AC power as powered up from an car type AC inverter to output, say a S-4 Leko with light meter to test output and gauge its loss of output over time one verses another type of windmil?

Given amp hours of a windmill in converting wind powr to 12VDC battery power with the extra drained off I'm now responsible for figuring out, how does one judge what's' the better windmill given Amp Hours at 120VAC in output the windmill in charging or sustaining the battery could retain? What way to meter the better system in already assuming if proper in concept both would be the same or not?

Guys at work were thinking some sort of wiggie meter for judging power.. possible with an ouput circuit board over time, how else short of the longest lasting Leko in output to judge?

Alien subject to me I'm now having to research and no doubt judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back