Wireless DMX

GoboMan

What are people's thoughts on wireless DMX? In magazines and newsletters I've seen more and more advertisements for wireless DMX systems. How reliable are they? Would you trust it in your rig? My thought is that it is more likely for a wireless signal to get lost or suffer interference and ruin your show, and that a good solid wired system is still the way to go. Perhaps they have improved wireless technology greatly, but I would still feel "on edge" during the entire show if I used it.

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone's saying it's a good idea to run a whole rig off it. It's meant for special situations where you can't get wires where you need them.

I've experienced both sides of the wireless coin - the side where you have your transmitters and receivers so close that a string could connect them, and they still don't hold signal. Then there is the side where you are using wdmx because its quick and you don't have time to worry about the signal dropping out because it's worked before. After roughly 8 years spent using wdmx, I'm happy now working for a company that hardwires everything since imho there are entirely too many outside influences on wdmx signal. It's still an imperfect science.

WDMX signals face a lot of potential interference in the WiFi world we now live in, however; I think they are still a very viable and convenient option for a lot of situations. When doing a short, one of event, where you are in a low interference environment, if you are in a venue with no 'discrete' or realistic cable run paths, if you are running some 'non critical' lighting, or if you are just feeling lazy, or have little to no time to run cables I think WDMX is a Wonderful tool.

Obviously Wired signal is the best and most robust signal transportation method, however; don't forget that cables can fail as well, and that 300' DMX run you just made now needs to be struck and run again....

I have a good amount of experience using WDMX systems, and I have yet had a system go down mid show (knock on wood) I think one main factor being the quality of gear you get. Will an ADJ system out perform a City Theatrical, no, but just like their fixtures, you get what you pay for. If your a lazy DJ or event technician and you are just sick of running cables, maybe ADJ gear will work for you, but if you are running a main lighting system, or want something you can readily rely on, then you should probably fork over the dough and get the best you can, it will be worth it in the end.

It depends a lot on which band the WDMX gear is in, and what else is broadcasting in the area. How many wireless mics, and where are they? In ear monitors, ALDs, wifi access points, etc. I wouldn't trust one for a show until I determined I have sufficient clear channels for the system where I want to use it.

I've been working with WDMX for 6 years now, and have become much more confident in using it for almost any show. As one who does only one-off installs, it's very beneficial to my company to be in venues with no place to run cable, or given a very short install window. The vital information to have is the band, channels, and range of your frequency so as to avoid interference. The technology has come a very long way since its inception. As others have said, you will get what you pay for when it comes to something this complex. City Theatrical makes the best transmitter/receiver equipment IMO, Chauvet makes some good products as well. I haven't found another company that makes anything worth investing in. Be sure to test every piece of gear you're trying to use with this stuff before sending it out, because a number of WDMX devices only talk nice to certain equipment. Do plenty of research on that before investing. Good luck!

I have seen both City Theathrical and W-DMX systems (yeah, it is an actual company...check the link below) and depending upon the model utilize various forms of frequency hopping to help keep discrete signal lock. There may be other manufacturers out there with similar systems. I have talked with many people that use wireless DMX in high interference areas (theme parks, etc) with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to use wireless DMX but I would also make sure I knew what my situation is and choose the proper system as needed.

W-DMX

SHoW DMX

Late to the party, but I'll just drop a quick note and go-

The small rig of LEDs I own are primarily used at my church for occassional celebration services, so certainly NOT a corporate or professional gig. The inexpensive wireless dmx transmitter and receiver I purchased allow me to quickly set up and operate from the balcony position control booth. DMX cabling is non-existant in the space, and running cable for these occassional one-offs would be unsightly and time consuming.
Wireless DMX technology has come a long way, and I'm glad for it!

:clap:

I mainly use wireless dmx from the Company Wireless solutions in Sweden, they have a very reliable product range and also range extenders and signal check devices. Works well for me.

We recently had a set rental come in for our Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat show that had 5 wireless receivers built into set pieces running LED fixtures off an inverter. My first experience with wifi DMX and I didn't have any issues what so ever. They were Chauvet brand, and surprised that they never dropped signal or had any interference within the building. I have since looked into having a set in inventory for my house, but really havent had a need for it since then.

So I just saw the craziest thing on "The Voice" tonight. Usher performed a song at the top of the show and everyone in the audience had a glowstick that they got to wave around. Every single glowstick in the audience flashed or dimmed or did a special chase effect to certain spots in the song. They were all perfectly synced together, throughout the entire audience, and during the entire song.

Was that done with wireless DMX? Did the producers literally give hundreds of studio audience members a wireless DMX instrument?!

I just closed a show where we used Infrared receivers that we built for under $3 each to drive RGB LED strips on costumes; similar technology to the Mouse ears. We had slightly larger power requirements so the total cost was around $40 per costume by the time we added in the strips and a battery capable of sustaining a 7 amp continuous current. We had a radio frequency version of the receiver that would have cost a dollar more and given us more unique addresses and a higher refresh rate but couldn't get the firmware debugged in time for the show. I figure an LED glow stick could be made for well under $2 in large quantities.

Chillin.jpg

Last edited:
Eurovision used RGB bracelets for all the crowd, I understand it was done on IR...

I just closed a show where we used Infrared receivers that we built for under $3 each to drive RGB LED strips on costumes

Were actors made aware that if they turn around their lights would go off? Or did you figure that would happen and put multiple receivers on the costume or have transmitters around the stage?

We had 3 IR transmitters, 2 shooting upstage and 1 shooting downstage. The IR receiver was positioned on the shoulder. Our failure mode for loss of signal is to hold the last look so the worst that would happen is a slight reaction lag (about 1/10th of a second) until the next clean packet was received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back