Wireless LED Lekos???

MsLxChick

Hi folks,

I'm working with a client who swears they did an event in Las Vegas where there were wireless LED lekos on the gig. They, of course, fell in love with this lights, but (again of course) didn't take the time to note the manufacturer, name of the fixture, or even take a picture. I am now on the hunt for something that quite possibly does not exist. Fun times! Has anyone ever worked with or even heard of wireless LED lekos? I would really appreciate any info anyone may have. Thanks in advance!

Ahmmm, not sure what they meant by wireless. If they mean wireless in the literal sense of the term, as in complete remote control with a terminal frequency controller, then no clue. ETC has Source Four Series I and II LED's, which support RDM control. I know Elation also has an LED ellipsoidal now, the DW Profile I believe? I do not think it supports RDM though, but all of the above are DMX controlled, of course. Sorry, don't know if that helps at all, but if by wireless he just meant RDM supported, then sure!

It may be that they had LED profiles with a WDMX receiver parked up on the truss?
maybe something like the ShowBaby from City Theatrical?
I've seen a couple of people use our Ovation E190 that way.

If you are talking truly wireless, then do you mean battery powered, with WDMX? if so, I have never seen one.

I'm old so forgive me but I seem to recall a country music awards show done in Vegas a few years back and one of the bits was a singer in hot air balloon like rig, and I believe I read in one of the trade magazines that is was all wireless - built in lights and all - and that the bottom of the basket was packed with batteries. Or i am just making things up?

There's some battery powered stuff like this available in Britian.
http://www.corelighting.co.uk/rugged-battery-led-floodlight-rgbw/

And I've seen another very similar model by a competing british manufacturer. Seems handy for outdoor uplighting situations when you have no power... but I'd hate to have to deal with replacing the batteries every few years.

Oh, almost forgot.... there's this American DJ Mega PAR battery powered LED available. I've used it before and would qualify it as a curtain warmer uplight... it can do an accent up a wall about 15-20' high, can be handy in small settings, but is not very powerful when compared/mixed with conventional lights. You can program it 'set and forget' on any color or a chase. But for actual control from the board you need to run a cable. I think it's all plastic... including the 'lens'.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821792-REG/American_DJ_MEGA_PAR_PROFILE_Mega_Par_Profile.html

... and one of the bits was a singer in hot air balloon like rig. ...
This?

proxy.php

Birdie s and ColorBlasts. Unsure what was the power, but control was via an onboard Pocket Console.

I love that you guys are confirming what I already suspected. It doesn't seem like there is such a thing as a wireless led leko out there (and when I say wireless I mean for both control and power). Yup, just working with yet another confused producer who thinks they know lighting... Silly producers...

Yes! Thanks. I could not find it. Now find the magazine that published the how it was done. Decent youtube if you search taylor swift 2010 acm awards.

Oh, I love me some Astera products! Planning on using some of the AL7-Ws for this event (and actually thinking of maybe using them in place of the mysterious wireless LED lekos). Now if only they had fixtures with shutters...

Lori at Astera/All Bulbs is one of the great ones.

Yes, there are a veritable SH-TON of battery operated fixtures with wireless DMX. Most are wash lights of some flavor.
At Chauvet have had battery wash lights for quite a while. Our Well series (using WDMX) has been very popular with the larger production rental houses.
On the DJ side, we've been a bit more adventurous. We have pinspots, lasers, washlights and even controllers and Apps for your smartphone in our EZ and Freedom series. These use our own "D-Fi" wireless communication protocol in lieu of WDMX, and are mostly geared toward mobile entertainers, and event planners.

But, MsLx was asking about a Leko... I've never seen a commercially available battery powered leko.

I Have seen some wireless LED pinspots, but not dmx, and really they are just glorified flashlights. The Chauvet Ovation Line of fixtures are LED(ac power) and actually are a true replacement for conventional fixtures. I would recommend them over a S4 ERS. The Fresnel is nice too. They really are good fixtures, and that should carry a decent amount of weight Because I have no problem calling out Chauvet for peddling garbage, like the Legend 412, a fixture that is now discontinued, and had almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Our Well series (using WDMX) has been very popular with the larger production rental houses.

I like the WELL 2.0 a lot. It has been a pretty decent fixture. Good quality light, great battery life, rock solid wireless control, and a real time saver. Thank you for using W-DMX, the Wireless Solution gear works perfect to control these. The Charging bases on the Well 2.0 are junk however. I hope this was fixed in the new model. I think the weight of the 2.0 is probably a big factor in the chargers failing though, so hopefully the new lighter WELLS will help in this cause.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I think the closest solution to a wireless leko, is The Chauvet Ovation, and a Wireless Solution DMX receiver. Yes you still do need to supply power, but you can run 3 times as many ovations with the same amount of power, light output is pretty much the same, but the Ovation has a more even beam, edge to edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back