$1,000 New Speakers

Edrick

Premium Member
I'm looking for a pair of speakers around $1,000 for the pair. Currently have two JRX115s, a client cooked the sub in them, which I'm going to get repaired but I'd like to start budgeting for a new set of speakers in the next month. I figure I can do around $1,000.

Looking for passive speakers, will be used mostly for music reinforcement (Choir, Instrumental, Classical, Jazz, Vocalist). I was thinking the PRX415M units maybe?

Also open to QSC? I have a rack of CX series QSC Amps that will be powering them these will be on the road.

What is the typical audience size?

In that price range you can't go wrong with a pair of EV SX300s, but if your client blew up a JRX115 they might need something bigger. The PRX415m won't get any louder than the JRX based on the spec sheets, but it is hopefully a little more robust. The Sx300 has a similar max output but will sound better than the JRX and you can get them for $300 each on the used market.

The blowing of the JRXs was due to abuse and it was a rental for a sports bar blasting football games. Which usually isn't something we do (rentals) but I wanted to help them out and well. Now it's time for new gear! So not looking for louder as I am just better quality.

I know you said you wanted passive, but the JBL EOM line are awsome little speakers. Portable and flexible, $ 350 each. Great deal

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

Seems like powered speakers are slowly overtaking the industry. I too am looking for a fairly inexpensive pair of unpowered speakers ... but more in the $500/pr range. The mackie c300z are $350 each ... is there anything else lower-priced that still sounds decent for a dance studio?

I am a giant advocate for the QSC K series and KW series active speakers. They sound amazing and are simple to use. Sadly, they are a tad over your budget for 2. The massive benefit of active equipment is that the amp is designed to protect the speaker, as opposed to a passive speaker that just takes whatever an amp throws at it (which is usually never perfect).

Depending on the size of the dance studio, you may not need multiple speakers. a stereo effect is almost entirely useless so instead of paying for 2 ehh speakers, you may be able to just get one very good or great cabinet that can still stand up to loud volume, and (personal experience) a lighting designer that barely understood sound that wires passive speakers in reverse polarity to blow all the tweeters in a passive system. (Another reason I am a massive proponent of active)

Seems like powered speakers are slowly overtaking the industry. I too am looking for a fairly inexpensive pair of unpowered speakers ... but more in the $500/pr range. The mackie c300z are $350 each ... is there anything else lower-priced that still sounds decent for a dance studio?

The EV ZLX12p is the best deal in low end powered speakers right now at $399 a speaker. It doesn't get super loud and doesn't sound great when you are pushing it hard, but it sounds much better under normal operation than the competition in the $400 powered speaker range.

The thing I hate about powered speakers is running both power and signal to them. Plus I already have nice QSC amps and DSPs. I've never had an issue over driving them. I think I'll end up going the PRX route

The thing I hate about powered speakers is running both power and signal to them. Plus I already have nice QSC amps and DSPs. I've never had an issue over driving them. I think I'll end up going the PRX route

If you already have good amps and DSPs, then passive is not as bad a way to go. Especially if you set the DSP to not allow the speaker to be overdriven. Starting from scratch is the time when you can more clearly see benefits from a solid powered system.

There are also some companies that make siamese cables that include both XLR and AC power. I believe whirlwind has a series available through full compass and the like.

The EV looks like a solid choice at 1000w. Never heard the box myself, but no reason to brush that off with that brand name as opposed to some other options.

I'd suggest looking at EV's ZLX-15, it's a 15" 2-way passive for only $ 399. I have the active version in my rental department and am very pleased with the performance and tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back