1/4" Lauan and East TX humidity don't play well together

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one. We have built 14' tall Hollywood flats with an unframed onstage edge to give the appearance of old school wing and drop scenery with all the molding painted on. The framing is set back 5" from the edge of the lauan. Unfortunately, the lauan edge is curling up like a Frito chip in the TX heat and humidity. Has anyone had any luck laminating a piece of 1/4" ply to the back to pull some of the waves out and give it a nicer edge? Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

......Hollywood flats with an unframed onstage edge to give the appearance of old school wing and drop scenery with all the molding painted on. The framing is set back 5" ......lauan edge is curling up like a Frito chip in the TX heat and humidity. ..... piece of 1/4" ply to the back to pull some of the waves .....Any ideas or opinions......

Meghan,

First, social obligations, your sig says Bloomington, In. are you an IU alum?? I did my MA there in '71. Also your map may say Texas, but your climate and ecosystem say Louisiana Gulf Coast. I been through there many times and it's not really "Texas" geography there. What is your actual location??

Now, business!

Historically, "Old School" wing and drop sets did not have the razor edge of luan. Of course, ... luan and plywood did not exist then. The actual period units were NOT Hollywood style which is the first part of your problem. The framing was simply like a Broadway style flat, and either had a full 1" +- thick edge like all flats of the period, or were simply beveled back at roughly a 45 degree back bevel with a 1/4" to 1/2" thick leading edge. Remember, drawings and etchings a idealized views of the sets, not photos. The sets were designed to "look" correct from the center back position of the house. Side seats, orchestra seats and balcony higher than the king's seat, all had a slightly skewed view of whatever perspective the scene was designed, built and painted.
l
Now for the flats that are already built, take a piece of 1x3, bevel one edge and attach with the bevel to the side and back.

Also your map may say Texas, but your climate and ecosystem say Louisiana Gulf Coast. I been through there many times and it's not really "Texas" geography there.
What's the difference between the Texas Gulf Coast and the Louisiana Gulf Coast? Not much.
What is "Texas Geography?" Mountains? Beach? Desert? Pine forests? It's all here... :)

Last edited:
I would argue that East Texas (Beaumont) has higher humidity than the more southern end of the Gulf Coast (Corpus Christi); but that could be just my perceptions based on the time of year I was there. There were several fires outside of Corpus because of a drought at the time (2007ish).

Beaumont just seemed hot and wet with little to no escape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back