15 pin Cinch-Jones Analog Control Cable Suggestions

cdicorcia

Hi Everyone,
I recently posted this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...gh-school-auditorium-old-lighting-system.html
regarding my high school's lighting system. I am interested in making, as they can no longer be purchased, 15 pin cinch-jones cables to replace the fraying and oxidizing ones we have now.
IMG_0058.JPG
(connector into the console)
IMG_0057.JPG
(connector into the dimmer)

I have found the connectors online, but I am having difficulty with the cable itself. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what cable I should purchase? I have already used google to no avail.

Also, is anyone willing to venture a guess as how this thing should be wired? Which pin is pin 1 and which pin is pin 15? What is the proper orientation?
_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _
l l l l l (this way, with the top-left pin being pin 1/bottom-right being pin 15)

or

l l l l l
_ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ (this way, with the top-left pin being pin 1/ bottom-right being pin 15)?

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide. The CB wiki page for cinch-jones regards them as all but obsolete, so I'm not expecting a large knowledge base from which to draw upon.

Those used to be used on the old EDI SCRimmer packs. As for the wire, if it is for the old EDI dimmers, pretty much any 15 conductor cable will work. Doesn't have to be shielded, probably should be #22 or heavier stranded conductors. From what I remember, 14 of the conductors are used. (Chn's 1 to 12, pin 15 = common, and pin 13 = 25 volt. Pin 14 was not used.) Some of the real old packs used that to turn the fan on, most of the packs I had didn't even use pin 13.

The mechanics of the wire, such as how durable it is, depends on if it is moved or a fixed install. Pretty tolerant. Had one venue that we did often, and I just left a chunk of 50 conductor (25 pair) phone cable in the place with connectors on the end. I don't actually recommend that, as solid conductors do snap, and the gauge is too thin, but it gives you the idea as to how tolerant the system was.

Yep, you're exactly right. They're used with 3 EDI Scrimmerette II's. We're still using a EDI Trouping Control Console.
Good to know the analog cable is really flexible in terms of needed specs. The exact way you suggested it be wired is what I believe to be the right way as well. (1-12 dimmer/13 dimmer fan/14 unused/15 common)
It would be a fixed install. The system hasn't moved since at least 1974; it's not going to move anytime soon.
I like the anecdote about your 50 conductor cable, lol.

Any idea what the orientation is or how I could find it out?

Do you have a multi meter? Do you have paper clips?
This may seem off the wall but bare with me.
Use the paper clip & short the 4 corners (i.e. 1&2, 14&15, 4&5, 11 & 12) on the female end
Now check continuity at the male end.
The corner without continuity is 14 & 15.
The opposite corner is pin 1

If you're building extensions to the existing cables, and only if you're building extensions to the existing cables, the pinout is less important as long as the wire on Pin 1 on the male end is the same as the wire on Pin 1 on the female end. If you're replacing the existing cables, easiest way to determine the pin out is probably by doing a continuity check on both ends of the cable. Good luck finding the connectors, I had a hard time finding the parts (8 and 15 pin) to replace the ends on some 10V leprecon control cables.

OMG! THANK YOU! This was exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe someone actually knows how this thing should be wired. This has been a godsend.

OMG! THANK YOU! This was exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe someone actually knows how this thing should be wired. This has been a godsend.

Lots of old-timers here! I suspect if you needed a gas valve for a limelight, someone around here could find it for you! :angryoldman:

Electronics Plus in San Rafeal, California. Theses guys have a store of state of the art parts pieces cables connectors knobs and switches electronic componets and stuff from around the 1950-60's to present. Very knowledgable people. Once I go in there, they have to call the county sheriff to get me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back