16 and I know the Road Hog

@ship is absolutely right. And just a fair warning, you will never get to the point where you aren't periodically corrected by someone more knowledgeable - either in your career or on this website. It comes with the territory!

About the DIP switches - yeah, they are a pain. They're made that way to keep from being changed by accidental bumping - this was back before things were complex enough to need an on-board UI.

About the DIP switches - yeah, they are a pain. They're made that way to keep from being changed by accidental bumping - this was back before things were complex enough to need an on-board UI.

They are surprisingly at risk of intentional bumping, and are not 2-year-old proof as my young electrician (now 3) will tell you after he trashed all my addressing when I was placing LED fixtures for my wife's elementary show. We have since used them as a means to learn our numbers, so at least he'll be able to post on Controlbooth one day that he was addressing DMX fixtures before he was potty trained.

That "greenie" looks like it could be very handy!

Agreed, no matter were we all go we are never any better than the person next to us.

I've been running Expresses since grade 6 and I am still wrapping my head around some of the features. Mind you, some I will never use as the Expresses disappear from bigger venues. For example, the moving light controls, and Focus Points. That's the simplest console I run, and I am still learning about it. One can never stop learning.

Can i point out , I am 14 years of age. Im currently learning MA2. I know Jands vista , Inside out , I can use ETC EOS (to an extent) (magic sheets , pixel mapping, cue sheets) , Learnt avolites inside out totally! , Now working on hog 4! I use vectorworks on a daily basis ,As well as WYSIWYG (I prefer light converse or capture polar) and are now executing shows using different network protocols (artnet). This can be achieved by downloading lots of various offline editors from lots of different companys. Have hands on experience with the consoles (I was thrown out at the deep end and did my first show on an ion at the age of 9), This is really important. Ive also learnt not to be to cocky (Despite sounding it on this explanation). No LD wants somebody younger than them to come into a show and do everything they can , but quicker and cockier. Just try to suggest things to them , and give them tips how you would do it! Also , Try to network a lot! Ive contacted mainstream lighting designers and spoke to them about there shows! Its the best way to do it! Just keep learning from other people. Never think the way you do something is the best, Always take on advice! Thats whats ive learnt! Ive got my first proper national tour with a decent band this year (and im 2 years younger than you) , so there are always opportunity! Take everything you can. You never "to qualified" for a job. Ive had to make teas and coffees for people! , But it gets known that your willing to work and put in the effort! Keep up the good work matey! Pm for a chat sometime!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back