2 LEDs in moving head wash fixture stuck on

sandsmarc

Any ideas on how I might repair this. I have a moving head wash light, and 2 of the RGBW LEDs are stuck on at apparently 100% brightness. They do not respond to DMX commands, and do not respond to a menu reset. They come on as soon as you power the fixture up, and refuse to turn off until you power the fixture down. Any ideas?

Sounds like something is messed up in the PWM circuitry. Unless you're really good with diagnostics and SMD soldering, I'd take it to a repair tech.

Sounds like something is messed up in the PWM circuitry. Unless you're really good with diagnostics and SMD soldering, I'd take it to a repair tech.
The SMD soldering may be the toughest part.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

What light is it? Some nicer LED wash movers have driver cards that occasionally need to be re-seated. Otherwise you may need to buy a new driver board. It's probably a fried LED drive circuit.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the diagnosis, and it is in line with what I was told from the manufacturer I bought it from. Sounds like the repair is above my pay grade. I am going to take it in. This is a Chinese knock off of the Clay Paky Aleda B-Eye K10. I've bought a few of these and have had good luck with them, but I knew going in that there were going to be failures along the way. They tell me they will send me a new LED drive board under warranty, and I will attempt to have a local shop do the repair. By the way, I would love to buy the real thing, but at $6,000 a pop that isn't going to happen. I am new to lighting, and when I saw what these fixtures could do on someone's rig and how versatile they are, the temptation was too much and at $600 apiece I decided to fade the repairs that I knew would pop up. So far, they have been very good overall and they really perform well when they are working. Moving forward, if I ever expand this hobby into a real business, I will only spec the real thing, but for now this is the only way to get the experience programming this type of fixture. I also bought a bunch of the Pixelblade 7s which are a knockoff of the Ayrton MagicBlade. So far they have performed beautifully.

If you're feeling adventurous, I'll bet you could replace the board yourself if they're just gonna send you a fresh one.

Might be a neat project to try and hunt down the fault on the old board.

If you're feeling adventurous, I'll bet you could replace the board yourself if they're just gonna send you a fresh one.

Might be a neat project to try and hunt down the fault on the old board.
I'd say the same thing as this. I've actually repaired a Technobeam by myself (no videos or friends in the room) that had a slew of problems (iris not connected to its motor, focus making loud noise due to being loose, several dead motor drivers, and nearly 20 years of dust). You'd be surprised, some of these fixtures seem to have accommodations for a repair technician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back