3 Foot Riser Design

We will be doing Paul Simon's Fools in March and it calls for a balcony scene. We can't really afford to build a full balcony so I thought I would build a raised platform that could act as the balcony. I was thinking of framing the platform with 2 x 4 and putting3/4" ply on top. the legs would be made of 4 x 4s. Is this overkill? I am planning on trussing the legs and then covering the legs and trusswork with some sort of simple facade. Any suggestions? It has to be capable of hold two cast members at one point.

Thanks

Yes, it's Overkill... 3/4" CDX ply supported on 24" centers can, typically, support 63 lbs/sq in. I think you'd be better served weight and budget wise to frame your platform with 1x4 #2 or better either Doug fir or If available and cheap enough in your area, Radiata Pine. Frame the perimeter, put toggles 16" o.c.. For Framing use either 1.75", wide crown staples or drill then screw with 1.75 " drywall or deck screws. < be sure to use glue.> Apply liberal amounts of glue to edge of framing, cover with 3/4" ply then secure ply with 1.652" < inch and five eights> drywall screws every 8" O.C. .
For a height of three feet 2x4 legs are fine. check the wikki here for Compresion Legs which might be better for you. Be sure to cross brace between legs.

Yes, it's Overkill... 3/4" CDX ply supported on 24" centers can, typically, support 63 lbs/sq in. I think you'd be better served weight and budget wise to frame your platform with 1x4 #2 or better either Doug fir or If available and cheap enough in your area, Radiata Pine. Frame the perimeter, put toggles 16" o.c.. For Framing use either 1.75", wide crown staples or drill then screw with 1.75 " drywall or deck screws. < be sure to use glue.> Apply liberal amounts of glue to edge of framing, cover with 3/4" ply then secure ply with 1.652" < inch and five eights> drywall screws every 8" O.C. .
For a height of three feet 2x4 legs are fine. check the wikki here for Compresion Legs which might be better for you. Be sure to cross brace between legs.

I have to agree with van here, 2x4 legs spaced on 2' centers with diagonal cross bracing between legs will definitely be effective. The platform you describe i wouldn't mind putting our scissor lift on. :grin:

Hopefully Michael's link was informative. I assume it has to move, if so I would build a double riser. Build one with with wheels, then mount the legged platform on top of it. This will make mounting the facade easier, as wel as the bracing.
A 2x4 or 1x6 frame would be great for two people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back