4 Season Tree

Catherder

I need a tree that can cycle through the four seasons - spring, summer, fall, and winter - over the course of the show. I’ve got the tree structure covered, it’s the canopy that I’m still trying to figure out. Multiple trees aren’t really an option - we don’t have the time, budget, or wing space for four trees the size we need. Likewise, no fly system so hanging different canopies over the trunk is right out.

My thought right now is to make an umbrella like structure with fabric to use as the canopies, one each for spring, summer, and fall (winter can be a naked tree). I can do it with a three point attachment system to the main branches and if I use the right fabrics I figure I can get something that looks appropriately leafy. I do worry that it will end up looking pretty cheesy though. It doesn’t need to be hyper-realistic as the rest of the design is pretty minimal and suggestive, but I don’t want to roll a crappy piece out there either.

Anyone else out there deal with something like this? Tips and thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edit: other option would be a white/natural muslin canopy with a focused spot and use that to throw different colors on it.

Last edited:
My first thought was white canopy with color thrown on it.

Next thought you could also do “fairy” lighting and affix leaves to every single fairy light and it will give support to color and give the feeling of real leaves. Downside is they will stay for winter so ambient light might show them and you won’t see a bare stick. Maybe good leaf placement and some heavy high angle hard focused backlight to shadow the stage to give the effect.

Another thought 2 trees 1 wagon. Gives you time to make up the next season and give variety instead of the same tree year round.

I wonder if you could some how do fairy lighting (or the like) for the actual leaves, so you get those on for the spring-summer-fall and color changing whatnot, but then they're out on winter and the tree trunk and branches are lit, somewhat obscuring the leaf lights. Not sure if that makes sense, and that might be tedious making enough leaf-lights as it were.

I like the fairy lights idea fellas. Green, red/orange, blue for winter. Clean, no screwing around with physically moving some awkward structure. And cheap.

Hmmmmmmm …

I need a tree that can cycle through the four seasons - spring, summer, fall, and winter - over the course of the show. I’ve got the tree structure covered, it’s the canopy that I’m still trying to figure out. Multiple trees aren’t really an option - we don’t have the time, budget, or wing space for four trees the size we need. Likewise, no fly system so hanging different canopies over the trunk is right out.

My thought right now is to make an umbrella like structure with fabric to use as the canopies, one each for spring, summer, and fall (winter can be a naked tree). I can do it with a three point attachment system to the main branches and if I use the right fabrics I figure I can get something that looks appropriately leafy. I do worry that it will end up looking pretty cheesy though. It doesn’t need to be hyper-realistic as the rest of the design is pretty minimal and suggestive, but I don’t want to roll a crappy piece out there either.

Anyone else out there deal with something like this? Tips and thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edit: other option would be a white/natural muslin canopy with a focused spot and use that to throw different colors on it.
@Catherder Consider an evergreen tree with its needles year round then light it appropriately for the seasons.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Catherder Consider an evergreen tree with its needles year round then light it appropriately for the seasons.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
But how do you make it naked and wintery(not a word I know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back