So I know a place that has this about fifty year old lighting system. It consists of three racks, each one having six circuits, and the system has not been turned on in years. I recently got it on and somewhat working, but I’m still looking for some manuals and model names. We have a six channel controller and a 12 channel controller, (early seventy’s is what the label on the back says). I need help identifying the models for all of these and if anyone has pdfs of manuals for those models, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    641.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 142
This is a Century Strand "Dimmy" model of about 1977 vintage. Not considered one their best creations but seems to use a lot of standard electronic components so is certainly fixable with some effort.
Spec sheet attached. Pretty sure this uses standard 0-10vdc control from the console.
Here is a link to a 2020 CB post about it:
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/strand-century-dimmy.47540/

Attachments

• 460808286-Strand-Century-Lighting-8000-Series-Dimmy-Modular-Dimming-System-Spec-Sheet-6-77.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Such a striking red color. Would look great with a Kliegl Performer I controller.
1704428922291.jpeg

Or maybe a Chamsys MagicQ 100:
proxy.php

Reactions: Van
The wiring looks more than a little sketchy.
The wiring is definitely sketchy. There is what appears to be neutral sharing and no grounding through the pack, and additionally the pack’s input supply line is scaling somewhat severely. I would not turn these on right now….

That said, @Random_Volunteer_Tech_Guy your profile says your in NJ. Sounds like the perfect time to contact Joel Epstein at Century Lighting in Fair Lawn as he's the guru on this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
So I know a place that has this about fifty year old lighting system. It consists of three racks, each one having six circuits, and the system has not been turned on in years. I recently got it on and somewhat working, but I’m still looking for some manuals and model names. We have a six channel controller and a 12 channel controller, (early seventy’s is what the label on the back says). I need help identifying the models for all of these and if anyone has pdfs of manuals for those models, I would appreciate it.
Totally missed your location, i'm in NJ if you need help getting this rewired properly.
(licensed in NY)

So… thanks for the electrical warnings. Probably definitely going to have to have a professional come in to make sure nothing’s wrong. So the place is a school that hasn’t used the system in I’m guessing about ten years. I do know all of that wiring should be original. Now, if the system were to be turned on and I did smell something burning, would that just be dust or an electrical fire about to burn down the building? Or something else? Also, for some reason, even when controllers are turned off and unplugged, the half of the rack on stage front right stays on. It also stays on, very dim, but still on, even when turned off by the controller. The only way to turn it off is by cutting power supply to the racks. What could be causing this?

No offense intended but from the questions you are asking and the way you are phrasing them, you really need someone with
more experience help you diagnose the problems with this system. If you have a college or university with a theatre program or even a community theatre nearby, call them up, ask to speak with their technical director, and see if this person would be willing to come and look at the system. All they can do is say they can or cannot help you. Hiring a licensed electrician is probably the best solution of course, or a service technician from a stage lighting integrator. Your system is not very complicated, so it should be a simple job.

Testing was also done before this, and what was found is some of the circuit outlets only work in certain outlets and some circuit outlets don’t work at all. Would this be a blown fuse or wiring issue? Or something else?
The possible reasons for things working/not working the way they do is a long list with many variables - something that doesn't work well in online forums. I'll upvote the suggestion to find someone in your area to give it a visual, maybe follow some wires, but probably not apply power (you know, lawyers and stuff). Looking at the pics I have far more questions than suggestions, otherwise.

If you smelled something hot/burning, it probably was. Unlike your furnace heat exchanger or resistance elements, these should not produce enough heat at power up to 'burn off the dust'. Do not re-energize this system.

So… thanks for the electrical warnings. Probably definitely going to have to have a professional come in to make sure nothing’s wrong.

Just to pile on: we can tell from the pictures that several things are wrong--we just can't tell you all the things that are wrong or exactly how to fix them from pictures and descriptions alone. You definitely need someone qualified to come fix the obvious (and dangerous) problems and to identify all the fun surprises we can't see remotely. This was clearly installed by someone who was eager to help, but didn't have the knowledge to do it correctly. Don't be that person. Get onsite help as soon as possible.

The system shown in the photos has a number of problems related to code compliance, risk of fire, and risk of electrical shock. Do not energize this system. Get a knowledgeable electrical professional on-site to review the problems and determine corrective action if that is possible.

You should be prepared for the possibility that corrective actions and repairs will exceed the amount required to simply replace the system.

ST

The system shown in the photos has a number of problems related to code compliance, risk of fire, and risk of electrical shock. Do not energize this system. Get a knowledgeable electrical professional on-site to review the problems and determine corrective action if that is possible.

You should be prepared for the possibility that corrective actions and repairs will exceed the amount required to simply replace the system.

ST
And for the record, Steve Terry literally wrote the code book on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back