Telex System Question

kgfox

We have a small Video Production company that has inherited a rather old Telex system: a Telex IC-2 Max Base Station and some BP-2000 beltpacks (along with some 1-channel beltpacks with no model numbers, design like the TR-300s without the wireless component). No manuals to be found for any of it.

What I am wondering is if anyone here has used the IC-2 Max before. We can get it to work just fine with the 1-Channel beltpacks. We have some events where a 2nd channel is needed, mostly because I am using a CCB-1 to plug into a Clear-Com system at a theatre. If I purchase a 6-pin cable, will the BP-2000 beltpack allow me to listen to both channels (if I split the cameras to ch1 and the CCB-1 to ch2) but only talk to each channel separately, in other words, the house sound does not need to hear camera calls but I need to respond to ready cues. Currently I have to wear 2 headsets and 2 beltpacks to achieve a cheap man's version of 2-channels :(

Any help or advice is appreciated! Hopefully I explained that correctly...

Todd

I use the BP1000 and 2000 packs all the time. As far as I know it's not possible to listen to both channels from a beltpack - there's a button to switch between them. If you need to listen to both (or speak to both channels at the same time) you need a User Station (US-2002) or a Main Station (MS-2002).

Thank you for this. Looking through it doesn't really talk about using the buttons and talking/listening. Still wondering on its actual use in live production.
Yes, it does. Page 5. Channel select button.

I use the BP1000 and 2000 packs all the time. As far as I know it's not possible to listen to both channels from a beltpack - there's a button to switch between them. If you need to listen to both (or speak to both channels at the same time) you need a User Station (US-2002) or a Main Station (MS-2002).
Thanks for the info. I will look into those and see if we can grab one off of ebay (or rent since we would only use it once or twice a year!)

Yes, it does. Page 5. Channel select button.
I did see that. I believe urban79 shined some light on that for me as to its actual operation: You can select Channel 1 or 2 but you cannot have them open at the same time.
I am attempting to create a 2-channel system so that I can call out camera cues without house sound hearing me, but I need to also hear house sound and respond to Ready cues. I think their suggestion of an MS-2002 might be my solution until I can budget for a proper Clear-Com system with 2-channels.

I did see that. I believe urban79 shined some light on that for me as to its actual operation: You can select Channel 1 or 2 but you cannot have them open at the same time.
I am attempting to create a 2-channel system so that I can call out camera cues without house sound hearing me, but I need to also hear house sound and respond to Ready cues. I think their suggestion of an MS-2002 might be my solution until I can budget for a proper Clear-Com system with 2-channels.
Manuals are written by engineers, usually. It's often useful to apply Boolean logic to any statement or description of function, as what is NOT said has the same "info factor" to an engineer. ;)

The suggestion of a used US-2002 is good and probably the least expensive way to a fast solution.

There are 2 channel packs that can work with your system (RTS, which is a Telex/AudioCom brand aimed at broadcast use). They are expensive and for reasons unknown, RTS decided to reverse the gender of the the headset connector. With the advent of digital matrix coms in broadcast there might be some 2 channel RTS packs out there on eBay or similar. Note these are *highly configurable* devices and will require some time with the Really Fine Manual and opening the packs to set DIP switches should you pursue this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back