Vintage Lighting 500w version of the Olivalitte flood light

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Anyone have one? They a little smaller than the 1Kw version Ovalitte, and seemingly have a venting hood atop it which is shown in a Brekert page 25 from the listed 1929 cagalogue, nothing about the Benjamen Lighting out of Chicago version of the fixture in existance from 1911 that I know of for a company in info about this light, but the Brenkert version is seemingly similar in photo and description.

From the Brekert catalogue, I get the sort of hood shape that kind of matches up with what's removed from this fixture, but assuming this hood, how was it vented isn't shown. http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/m...NKERTCAT26.pdf page 25 and Kliegl and other brand catalogues don't list any 500w version of a Olivalitte.

Made a prototype of this missing hood for the current brand and it's different in workings for shape for first guess. This beyond how that hood shape was vented in not shown. Just that top hat high school graduate hood atop the fixtuere that I'm working on at the moment. I have a 5"x6" removed from the frame the solder splices showing on the fixture that this hood will have fit into in size to such a rectangular shape.. Tried something that might fit but don't overall work in a proximity/artistic sense to the fixture. This much less now the top hood, how was it vented?

Beyond that, was it holes on the hood's sides or something else in venting? A question, anyone have one or am I on my own in seeing a catalogue picture and inventing something? Anyone ever seen a 500w version of the Olivalitte and how it was vented atop it? Got the rest of the fixture figured out, but just now working on inventing the to venting cap to it.

Last edited:
Post didn't go. Olivalitte is a lighting fixture and (1&2) above are about oval Fresnel lenses and now I have one and understand more than years ago I think this is pulled up from.

Thanks on the above working link, lower right side is what I'm working on in photos from my phone not converting to computer. I'm attempting to reinvent the top hoods to them but don't know about venting for them or specific shape. Given this fixture simialr, perhaps it is similar to this origional style of 500w Olivalitte in general. But there isn't enough info given on venting and actual shape and size. Thus asking in general in origional reply didn't post, anyone have one?

Olivalitte, Flood Lamp, Bunch Light (even if single lamp), Olivet Box or Open Lamp... etc. became the scoop amongst many terms for it. Olivette http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/G/gm67.jpg and http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/G/gm5657.jpg or http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/K/klieglcatKc1922P15.jpg assuming the Kliegl cagalogue is the bench mark for standard in gearal term for gear, the above 1&2 are hopefully undersood now. and the hood to something not other than on the above link has been shown before. A 500w version of the Olivalitte that pre-dates and was soon obsolete once the 1Kw lamp was invented.

Last edited:
Photos attached of two sand blasted c.1911 Benjamin lighting Olivet fixtures with one mocked up for lamp and ruby red side lens on it I can only figure you back stage can tell it's working as to the purpose of in both having them. Made a prototype top venting hood to it over the weekend based on the above photo with 45 degree angles to the hood. Didn't work out in that this fixture has a larger gel frame size and that hood hit the gel frame, also in look it wasn't correct in assuming the squared off hood and lead left behind for what was removed on that almost square but rectangluar venting hood.

Theory on the removal of the venting hood at some point in the 50's or 60's I think is they tried to make it into a 1Kw Olivet fixture - thus the cutting away of the venting holes and venting hood so as to mount a lamp socket outside the fixture in bench focusing correctly. It will do that in concept but as found, I believe these were projects in the works for doing so in bad idea as a PS-52 lamp will fit inside but is way too close to the reflector in doing so. Just too small a fixture other than what it was designed for. In this case PS-35 lamp shown as a PS-40 isn't available.

Handed the aesthetic correct shape of the top hood off to one of work’s designers so as to AutoCadd in making me a template that will work to cut the sheet metal from. We also agreed that even with my lamp base plates covering the hole cut into the venting part of the fixture, the metal is too weak and I will probably have to add a plate under the hood to resupport this hole area in mounting the correct lamp socket.

So again, unless anyone has a 500w version of a Olivet fixture - especially from Benjamin Lighting, but also in general for another design concept, I’m going with the Brenkert photo of how it’s top hood looked. At least the braised remains of the hood say it was for the most part square in shape. Now only a question of how that venting hood vented the heat but didn’t allow the light to escape? The photo doesn’t detail this info as a problem in what and how done. Suspect I’ll just drill some half inch holes but don’t yet know where. Different animal than any of the 155++ other types of lighting fixture I have worked on over the past few years. Trying to make it historically correct but short of anyone else having one, there is literally no info available on hot to bring them back to life correctly.
ure
Beyond that, did I mention on this brand of light, the made for wooden gel frames, had a hinged gel frame bracket so on this origional version of a scoop as it were, you didn't have to remove the gel in the frame so as to replace the lamp. Granted the clip to open the hinged gel frame was behind the gel and you would probably have to remove the gel anyway... these had that hinged door. This is unique in nothing similar done like that before that I have seen. Took months to get fab shop time to duplicate in sheet matal galvanized metal brasing the in-tact but very damaged one I had for the second. Curious fixtures. If nobody has one, this is perhaps just a post for presenting such an old light that all the rest of were scrapped of during the various war efforts.

Attachments

• olivalitte 001.jpg
    olivalitte 001.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 260
  • olivalitte 002.jpg
    olivalitte 002.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 216
  • olivalitte 003.jpg
    olivalitte 003.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 222
  • olivalitte 004.jpg
    olivalitte 004.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 204
  • olivalitte 005.jpg
    olivalitte 005.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 204
  • olivalitte 006.jpg
    olivalitte 006.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 190
  • olivalitte 007.jpg
    olivalitte 007.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 201
  • olivalitte 008.jpg
    olivalitte 008.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 186
  • olivalitte 009.jpg
    olivalitte 009.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 210
  • olivalitte 010.jpg
    olivalitte 010.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 251
Perhaps the ruby window is a hold over from the carbon arc units? They used the same tooling for both arc and incandescent hoods, but used ruby glass instead of welding glass.

Oh, by the way, I've got four circa 1936 open trough style border lights on my hands, and my TD wouldn't mind if one (or all four) left the theatre. Bet your wife would love that.

Thanks for the imput on the ruby lenses, perhaps... I know I have at least one PC ligting fuxture that has a side opening door on a incandescent lamp PC, and some added mounts to the rear casting that would be for carbon arc. Could just be the purpose of the ruby lens = there is a 1/2" hole at the bottom of the fixture that can't be explained also which could have been for something like adjusting the arc.

Think these fixtures were made for incandescent lights, but possible these were given the missing top hood, and cut away venting in not for sure showing a lamp socket mounting, that it could have been carbon arc. Burn stain for the asbestos ring says not as shown in where a lamp base was mounted, but good question and one I have asked in working on these fixtures. Possible they were carbon arc? Benjamin Electric Manufacturing Company, 120 South Sangamon Street, Chicago. Porcelain-enameled steel reflectors. (Catalogue). c.1929 Listed in bibliography to Fuch's "Stage Lighting" but no mention of when the company started. Nor any catalogue for them on the web in a deep search for them over many months.

On the other hand, see page 24 of the 1916 Chicago Stage Lighting catalogue I sent in PDF form to Wikee There is extra venting and shape diffrences not seen on these arc light fixtures that there is no evidence of. Perhaps the most important thing for me and all to do is to make a visit to the Chicago Historical Society Museum.

In 1903 there was a fire at the Iroquois Theater in Chicago which formed the basis for believe it was the national building code - this especially for the concept of fire exit. Recently sent some photos from an on-line third book I'm yet to read about the fire which has a photo of a dual carbon arc lamp stand fixtures. One is a PC simlar to one I have in collection, the other above it that was the more likely source for the start of the spark to scenery was a Olivet. Than some questions on a not trained for fixture or one that wasn't attended to it (literally also out the door smoking) - big gap in history or book on who was responsible for the light and what failed. A carbon arc PC spotlight and carbon arc Olivet, not mentioned in history which one or the wiring to them, one of which started the fire which killed lots of women and children during the X-Mass season. I'm sure what I might see at the museum will be very interesting historially and for what brand they were which wasn't listed in the book.

At the moment though, I think these 1911 Olivet fixtures were incandescet to be mounted and in the 50's or 60's someone decided to make them into 1Kw but stopped half way on the way to doing so. Survived the various scrap metal war efforts and after left as it were for me to figure out in luck to get them even still so as to present and figure out.

Chicago Historical Society Museum I'm told has the two carbon arc fixtures on a stand, one of which that caused this famous fire.
Anyone in the Chicago are that can get out to the museum get photos of the fixtures and brands of them? I have a six month baby at home that just got her first tooth, thus a few more months at best before I can make a visit. Would like to see detailed photos of them and actual brands of the two fixtures in question as per research and or is it possible these I'm working on were carbon arc?

Also, the hood vent on the carbon arc Olivet in shape and style as it might help. Lots of detailed photos about this specific lighting fixture in their museum that has two arc lights on a stand. Beyond my lights, just stuff about 1903 not known about in general.

Last edited:
... Oh, by the way, I've got four circa 1936 open trough style border lights on my hands, and my TD wouldn't mind if one (or all four) left the theatre. Bet your wife would love that.
David Keefer has a museum at JSU university in Alabama and is much more close to you in shoving them onto. As a rule, I don't collect strip, border, or cyc lights; instead I try to get rid of our own inventory of them where possible. Specifically as to my Wife, the moment any strip light entered my garage, she would be really, really pissed. Over the past year I re-porcelain enameled reflectors on a c.1928 strip light and that re-porcelaining was a really messy process. Literally had to chemical and scrape the garage floor after tracking that stuff up to the living area. Don't collect them or work on them at home any longer. Or have room for such concepts in the museum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back