A brand to stay clear of...

Hello all,

I hope that this type of posting doesn’t violate the TOS. I know that the last thing this forum needs is a bunch of people whining about troubles with vendors and manufacturers, but this is a big enough issue that I felt I need to let people know so that they do not make the same mistake I did.

For the record, I am the TD at a theater in Iowa, and am in no way connected with any company that makes or sells fog machines.

This saga began in April of 2008, when we purchased two Low fog machines, “Low Rider” is the specific model, from a company called Star Light and Magic in Kentucky for that summer’s production of Beauty and the Beast. I was not the TD here at the time, so I am not sure what the reasoning behind choosing this company or model was. The machines were branded by Star Light and Magic – I have no idea whether they build the machines themselves, or just label another manufacturer’s.

We used the machines for the run of Beauty in the Beast, and one if the units stopped heating midway through. This happens. It sucks, but with all of the components inside a machine, sometimes a unit dies. I don’t hold this against the company. The units seemed quite well built, and the second unit performed brilliantly.

The TD attempted to contact Star Light and Magic about a repair, and finally received a response from them – in December 2008.

In January of 2009, we sent the unit in and have the UPS tracking confirming their receipt.

I took over the position in March of 2009, and after a month or so on the job, attempted to contact Star Light and Magic for an update. This is where the mess really began. The company can only be contacted by email, or on rare occasions through an online help button on their website. The phone number on their site only leads to an answering machine with a message that tells you to email them and then leaves no opportunity to leave a voice message.

I emailed, waited two weeks for any sort of response, email again with all of my possible contact information – phone, cell, address, email – again no response. I emailed several more times over the next few weeks with the same lack of success.

About 2 months into the ordeal I decided to take another approach. I emailed the company and said that I was a school that was unable to make the purchase online. I listed a few of their higher end items and asked if there was a way I could talk to a salesperson. Within TWO HOURS there was a response sitting in the Gmail inbox I had set up for this, asking for my phone number! I gave them my cell phone number and they must have recognized it from my previous emails because that was the last I hard from them.
After sever more months of attempts, I got one of our board members who is a lawyer to draft a rather strong letter demanding the refund of the $700 we had paid for the unit. I figured it might carry a bit more weight than my emails. We received absolutely no response.

This week, the second unit stopped working. We had used it a lot, it has been rented out a dozen or so times to other groups, so the failure in itself is not that great a surprise. There just really is nothing at all we can do about it. We’re certainly not sending the second unit back to this company, and that is if we can even get a hold of them – it took 5 months to get the return authorization the first time. We’re now out over $1400.

The company is still very much in business, still more than willing to accept your orders, but if you are in the market for an item and come across this company, please be cautious.

The domain registration for starlight.com has 859 225 4478 as their contact phone number and [email protected] as their contact address. Remy Simpson is listed as the technical contact, and as the owner of the company over on LinkedIn.

Thanks for posting this, I think this is exactly the kind of thing that should be on a forum like this.

And sorry you are having such a hard time!

John

I am sorry for your debacle and, working for a fog manufacturer, I can say that this is, in MY OPINION, no way to treat customers. However, I'm sure that, if you get to contact them, they would help resolve this issue.

In the mean time, if there is anything we can do the help out, do not hesitate.

Good luck.

EDIT:

Last edited:
I bought tons of stuff from them too. I placed about 5 orders this fall. 4 of them came very quickly and everything was good. that 5th order never came and I've been trying to contact them thru all means as well to no avail. I've used the fax, tons of e-mails with the subject "where the hell is my order?" and a copy of the order info you get when you check out. I placed this missing order on September 8th, 2010 and I'm writting this Dec 1, 2010 with still no answer or contact from them.

Again, my other 4 orders came quick and fine, but not getting anyone in person to talk to about my missing order is very frustrating.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

This is somewhat unusual to hear, especially of this particular theatrical supply dealer. I too am sorry you've had such poor customer service and would suggest a call to the Better Business Bureau for future assistance. Bummer...

Here is a link to that region's BBB office-

Better Business Bureau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back