A&H GLD USB Problem

Robert F Jarvis

I use the A&H GLD editor at home on my 64bit Windows 10 machine, then save the new show file to a USB stick. Down at the theater the GLD112 fails to 'see' the stick? I've been told the GLD uses a commercial WIN7 but I notice the filenames inserts " .tar. " before the bz2 extension. I (maybe mistakenly) tend associate Tar with Linux!

Both the home suite and the console had their software updated to the latest versions a month ago. However, I noticed that one stick that had failed was a FAT32 format. I've re-formatted as NTFS but can't try this until next week. To add to this sad saga our ETC Element 2 light control console really does use Win7 (commercial, like a lot of other boards) but I pass files between it and home here via USB Stick all the time. Hmmm!

A&H boards are stupidly, tiresomely picky about the filesystem format on their USB sticks; *they* *have to* format the stick or they won't see it reliably.

They really need to buy a new FAT library.

Yeah ALWAYS format your USB WITH THE CONSOLE. The GLD is EXTREMELY picky. A&H specifically say to always format your USB with the console, otherwise there is no guarantee that it will work.

I totally agree and think A&H should invest in making this more robust.

And, as a 35 year IT guy, just to be clear:

That Is Not Acceptable.

If you require something in the format that isn't put there by the standard, it's *your* problem if it doesn't work right, where "right" is defined as "interoperating with other devices that follow the standard".

In short: this *is* Allen & Heath's screwup. And they should fix it. Promptly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back