A look at the finances of Spider Man

Last edited:
I don't understand - both the Associate Choreographer and the Associate LD were paid MORE than the people they were working. Is this normal? Is there some reason for why it was this way? I understand that Scenery had multiple people splitting that number, but from what I'm aware, Lighting and Choreography both only had one Associate (not to be confused with Assistant).

I don't understand - both the Associate Choreographer and the Associate LD were paid MORE than the people they were working. Is this normal? Is there some reason for why it was this way? I understand that Scenery had multiple people splitting that number, but from what I'm aware, Lighting and Choreography both only had one Associate (not to be confused with Assistant).

Look at the royalties - the designers receive the royalties, the associates don't. That's my understanding.

The associates and assistants sat in the theatre for more than 12 hours per day for more than year. The principal designers went off to do other stuff. I'm sure the assistants were being paid by the day, whereas the principals were on a flat fee.

ST

Plus the Associates did all the plots, paperwork, renderings, drawings, sections, etc.

Not bad for the moving light programmer.

I think they got off pretty reasonably for the flying elements! Now...who wants to be a fly guy/gal?

$188K doesn't do much for harnesses if they aren't attached to anything...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Admittedly I don't know much about the world of costuming. However, what has me scratching my head is their pay. I know all about the royalties making up for some of the gap, but what accounts for that large of a gap? The costume designer is only getting $14,375 while the associate gets $206,285.65?

In costuming the associate is the first hand who is responsible for actually, sizing, fitting, and actually sewing things. I am sure theirs (I almost typed hers, what kind of misogynist am I?) was hourly.

That isn't a lot for lighting perishables really. I thought it might be higher.

Mike

Admittedly I don't know much about the world of costuming. However, what has me scratching my head is their pay. I know all about the royalties making up for some of the gap, but what accounts for that large of a gap? The costume designer is only getting $14,375 while the associate gets $206,285.65?

My guess would be that the actual designer came up with the concepts and then moved on to their next project while their associate was making a hourly, daily or weekly rate while the rehearsals and previews draged on interminably.

That makes sense especially considering how long it took to open. It still surprises me how little the costume designer got comparatively.

With production costs approaching $50,000,000, how many performances would they have to sell out to break even?

Recalling from memory that they (the investors/producers) hoped to recoup expenses in about 7 years. It was noted that not many musicals run 7 years, so it's going to be interesting to see if the show ever makes back expenses from ticket sales on Broadway. Possibly a tour(s) and/or West End versions will help, but I can't but wonder how they will ever get to the point of taking this show on tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back