Actors Playing Instruments Live

Kayley Page

I'm new to posting on Control Booth but I've lurked around for ages. I've been stage managing professionally since my second year of college, so about seven years now. I also work as a technician backstage, usually as a props or rail lead.

My next gig is for a very large children's theatre program, which produces their summer stock show on our Mainstage every summer. This year we're doing the youth version of School of Rock.

For those of you who don't know, one of the premises is that the actors play their own instruments live onstage. There will be three guitarists, a drummer, and a bassist of the ages 14-19. And a keyboardist, drummer, guitarist, and bassist of the ages 11-14. So, as you can see, rather ambitious.

They're in the process of casting now and likely have the talent base to pull it off.

My big question is how to go about scheduling this additional need for rehearsals, since we're basically adding band practice needs to our normal rehearsal period, and also have the usual acting, singing, and choreo needs. In the past we've had actors play for a song or two, but not the majority of the music.

I wanted to have some basic ideas before talking to my directing team and I do plan on talking to the program director and production manager about the possible need for additional rehearsal time. Did anyone have any thoughts or strategies or have dealt with this situation before?

There will be three guitarists, a drummer, and a bassist of the ages 14-19
Just going to point out that technically thats a problem. The additional rider for the show says all performers MUST be 18 or under. Nobody is likely to check birth certificates but still technically breaking the terms of the contract.

Also if it helps, you only NEED to have these characters play live. If you WANT to be that ambitious, go for it but it only requires:
Dewey (Guitar),
Zack (Guitar),
Freddie (Drums),
Katie (Bass),
Lawrence (Piano/Keyboard)

If you were willing to be less ambitious you could still have regular pit rehearsals with other musicians which would make life a little easier. In either case its tough because it's such an early release geared so completely towards youth theaters.

They likely changed the program to be ages 10-18 this year then. They tend to be very good about riders, but it's not a step of the process I'm in on.

Unfortunately, compromising on the number of musicians is not in the cards presently. And seeing as the other characters are only playing for one song each (two if you count the reprised No Vacancy song, which is similar to the opening number), they are largely not the biggest concern we have time management wise. It's the School of Rock kids band that is going to take up huge chunks of time.

Unfortunately, compromising on the number of musicians is not in the cards presently. And seeing as the other characters are only playing for one song each (two if you count the reprised No Vacancy song, which is similar to the opening number), they are largely not the biggest concern we have time management wise. It's the School of Rock kids band that is going to take up huge chunks of time.

I'm not sure I meant compromising the numbers, I was more pointing out that technically the only members of the band that need to play live on stage are the ones listed. The rest could be played by kids who can't play but can mime and have their parts played by a pit that doesn't also have to focus on acting. You could still have the same number of musicians but it lessens the stress of NEEDING the rest of the band to also be able to play their parts.

outside of that if the band DOES all play, run the songs like a typical music rehearsal. Run the songs till they're a band. Ideally you cast kids who can do the instruments already. My wife looked heavily at this show and the constraints posed and finding kids in her area that could act at their caliber AND play music at the caliber they are used to just didn't exist so they ultimately passed.

I have done a few shows with the majority of the band being actors. Depending on the type, and how much the actors are orchestrated, we usually had 2 extra rehearsals with the band actors and the MD. Then the actors would just come to orchestra rehearsals as well. Also take into account if you have a professional pit, the kids are more likely to "get it" faster with professional, compared to a pit with kids. That might depend on how much they actually play. I haven't seen that show yet, so I can't comment on that, but depending on the caliber of the kids and how hard/many songs there, and how open of scheduling you have. It's probably more of a MD and Director judgement call after casting or even after the first rehearsal with the kids.

Depending on the type, and how much the actors are orchestrated, we usually had 2 extra rehearsals with the band actors and the MD

That's a useful number to start working from, thank you. Our pit for the summer show is primarily students, with a professional mentor for each section.

Unfortunately, our rehearsal spaces are booked solid in summer so to carve out extra rehearsal time, we need to start thinking about it now.

How big is your budget? If you have the money send the kids to private lessons with local pros. That is how this kind of thing is address in the world of music eduication. Send them with the music they need and tell the instructor to teach them to play just that music. Get the kids in lessons as soon as they are cast. That also will free up some time in the space because lessons do not have to happen there.

Alot of kids at that age are starting to take piano lessons. That might be usefull.

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back