Advice on school lighting upgrade

LXCG

Hi guys
My school has been awarded around £7.5k (about $12k I believe) to upgrade our technical systems, so I just thought I'd pick the experienced minds on here to see if anyone had any particular opinions on what we're looking at.
We tend to cover a wide variety of events, from big disco/rave type events, to classical concert, to rock 'n' roll bands, to awards and conference, as well as a big theatrical show each year.
We currently have a Jands Event desk, which is now RIP, which was running dimmers of your standard school rig of 40 odd pars, strand codas, profiles and fresnels, as well as a couple of budget LEDs, and some Miniscans. The equipment is mostly for our school hall, which is a rather large space with about a 10x5x8m pros stage with up to about a 6m depth staggered thrust. We have FoH and on stage bars, with throws up to 12m. Some equipment will be moved when necessary to our drama studio at about 4m squared.
For our desk, we're looking at an MQ40; quite a big step up from our current two preset desk, but one we are keen to make, to enable us to actually have something inhouse to control the increasing number of intelligent fixtures we get.
We also want to make an investment in a fair number (12-20 units) of LED pars. To try and match performance with price, we're considering Stairville CX-3 18x8w RGBW. We're fully aware that LED pars at this area of budget don't really hold up to a par64 yet, but anyone know if these are decent units which could hold their own against traditional tungsten sources? We're also looking at a few eurolite RGBA 252x10mm bars.
We're also quite keen to purchase some moving heads. We get a few in on hire each year, and think we're at the point, especially with the new desk, to own some. For various reasons including power and maintenance, we would quite like to go for LED wash/beam. We're sort of in two minds over to go for more established fixtures like GLP Impressions as ex rental, or for cheaper units, such as RGBW Eurolite movers?
We're also probably going to invest in some smaller sound upgrades, including a new stagebox loom (from ThatCable.com?), a smaller mixer to replace a broken one (although we have a Soundcraft 328 for larger events), and a small portable PA for when we cover events away from our main hall, and for drama.
That about takes up the money. If anyone has any opinions on particular models of products, or indeed on what we're looking at in general, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Thats a HUGE shopping list for a very small amount of money. The Chamsys MQ40 looks like a pretty good starting point for your system. I have never used one, but I use the MagicQ software on a laptop all the time. The software is excellent and powerful... just really obnoxious without the dedicated controls of a console. So that's a good choice and pretty reasonably priced I think.

From there I advice focus on infrastructure. Don't get distracted by the cool toys, focus on your basic needs first. Things that will effect the way you operate every production. Your sound needs seem a bit more critical than your other lighting needs. My advice on LED's is go to your local dealer who you trust and who you will go to for equipment repairs and ask what they sell. It seems every shop these days has their own house brand of Chinese imported LED's that cost around $300-$400 each. Do not just go buy the cheapest deal you can find on the internet. What will you do when your LED breaks? Who is standing behind your purchase? Not China. Instead buy from your local shop, they have a vested interest in making sure you are happy with your purchase and their name is on the line if your cheap LED's break.

AS for the Movers. I've never heard of Eurolite but it looks a lot like DJ quality stuff like our American DJ here. Don't buy DJ LED's they will not be bright enough to be seen on stage. Again talk with your local theater dealer. They will be happy to bring some products to your theater for you to see how they work on your stage with your lights on. In general, anything under about $3000 per fixture is garbage. Professional quality moving lights, which can really blast through the incandescent wash, START at double that. Many of us around here advise that schools should not buy Moving head fixtures. You are either going to buy garbage which will break and you will have thrown your money away or you will buy expensive fixtures which you can't maintain. For most schools it's far more logical and cheaper to rent moving lights on an as needed basis.

Take a minute to read my advice to schools on intelligent lighting equipment which has been nick named "The Gafftaper Method".

Gafftaper hit on the main points and cautions as to be expected. My additional-albeit generic advice-would be to think about what would give you the biggest bang for your buck. Not necessarily what could you buy (fixtures or otherwise) that would give you the biggest quantity per se, but what added/improved functionality and/or system would be used most often?

Moving heads and LEDs sound fun, but there is both the reliability and associated maintenance issues. LEDs are still rapidly developing and improving during each successive generation along with pricing, so think about holding off on that. Let the technology mature a bit more. If you're dead set to get a few, do so with the intent to use them as specials whether it's for concerts or the like. They will not mix well with regular lighting systems, so keep that in mind. Without knowing more, I would suggest to focus on dimming control which seems to be an immediate need and then look at your sound needs. If you have extra $ after those (doubtful), then possibly look at adding a few fixtures. My $0.02

The ChamSys is an excellent choice. I think that the MQ40 does not have a VGA port though because an additional screen is very handy indeed. I think you have to go up to the MQ60 to get that. I also think that you are on a hiding to nothing buying cheap moving lights. Having said that its is very handy to have two or three simple profile units on LX1 or advance bar to use just as remote focus spotlights. Even old Trackspots are handy for that.
Just dont expect a lightshow though. Money better spent on nice reliable generics. Cheap LED battens handy for lighting cycs possiblly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back