Mixers/Consoles Allen and Heath ZED 428

MauriceCB

Recently, our church upgraded from a 15+ year old Mackie 24-4 to a brand spankin new Allen and Heath ZED 428 desk. We chose this desk because of its dual capabilities and the price was right too. We connected all the mics, instruments input and the main and monitor outs. All individual channels and their controls work just fine and I can get groups to control the main output mix.

The problem is we cannot get any control from the L&R or M fader controls. Is it required for the computer to be connected in order for the L&R or M faders to work.

Thanks,
Maurice

No, it's not. We have the ZED 428 in my church's youth room. While I don't particularly like the board, it has served it's purpose just fine. Do you have the individual channels patched to L-R or M via the pushbuttons beside each fader? Are you getting any signal on the meters above the L, R, or M faders? Are your outputs plugged into the main outs (XLR) and not the inserts (1/4")?

Things I don't like about the board: I always grab the wrong fader due to the faders and assignment pushbuttons being swapped for each channel compared to what I'm used to. The mute LEDs are raised such that your finger hits the LED before you've pushed the button down far enough to engage it. The knobs all have hex nuts on the top side of the board; this just looks tacky. The aux arrangement only allows for 4 pre-fader monitor mixes. If you only use one effects mix and don't use aux fed subs, you've got a wasted aux send.

I realize most of these complaints are personal preference, but oh well, I wasn't asked when the board was purchased.

Last edited:
Thank You for your quick response and you answered my next question pertaining to the output XLR plugs. We have 1/4" plugs for output on the old Mackie desk and automatically thought that the inserts performed the same functionality as the XLRs since they were located adjacent to them. As you pointed out, this is incorrect.

That should explain the problem you were having. The inserts are ahead of the L, R, and M faders in the signal path. Your best bet would be the change the connectors on the main cables from 1/4" to XLR. You could just get adapters, but putting new connectors on the cables would be a better solution if you have the soldering skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back