Altec 9440A Help

Altman364

So I have recently adopted an Altec model 9440A amplifier and a set of woofers and tweeters to match. I have checked all of the speakers with a working amp and they operate flawlessly, but I can not get this amp to work with the speakers.

I took the amp to some local audio proffesionals (seeing as how it is very old) and they told me that the amp was working fine and had no issues as far as they could tell.

I took it home, hooked it up, and still no output.

*note* this amp in particular has an impedance matching safety switch, when I hooked up my speakers I do have a minimum of 4 Ohms resistance on each channel (I checked with a multimeter).

I have plugged my iPod into the unbalanced input Ch1, have the amp set to Dual Output at 40% and have speakers connected to both the Ch1 and Ch2 outputs.

Any ideas as to why I'm still not getting sound???

One problem that shows up on older amps is circuit board "ring cracks." These are cracks that form around where large leads or components are soldered on circuit boards. The amp may have worked fine for them. Move it or change the temperature, and the amp may not work at all.
Just ran into the problem on a couple of QSC amps that did not work in the rack, but when I benched them they worked fine. The bad news is it takes a good eye to find them. The good news is the fix is as simple as re-soldering the joints when you find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back