Amateur theatre LED upgrade

BillESC

The physical plant has a low trim height and is looking for convection cooled instruments.

Requirements.

Ellipsoidals: DMX zoom able. RGBL color mixing.

Pars/Fresnels: DMX zoom able. RGBL color mixing. Barn door capable.

I have a 50K budget.

We just took delivery of some silverstar Frezno RGBAL with DMX zoom. Haven't had a chance to test them yet. They do have a fan and can have barn doors.

ETC's Colorsource Spot Jr has DMX zoom but as discussed here in another threat has fan noise making it unacceptable for this client.
Unless you're looking at a version of the spot that I'm not, it does not have DMX zoom, it is a "traditional" zoom fixture with a knob. https://www.etcconnect.com/Products...lorSource-Spot-jr/Features.aspx?LangType=1033

If you actually want *fanless* LED profiles with motorized zoom, you're either spending that $50k to hire someone to develop a new fixture for you or looking at the one or two fanless mover options that exist.

Last edited:
Colorsource V Fresnel has DMX zoom but not the jr AFAIK.

We use quite a lot of colorsource fixtures (spots and jr) in our auditorium (for theatre) so noise is an issue. We've never heard them. The air con ducts (or our Macs) make more noise, and that's only just audible. We've never heard the fans kick in on the lanterns. Even at boot up, the fans are so quiet you wouldn't know they were turning.

I think if you want a DMX zoomable profile you're going to be looking at a mover with framing shutters.

I'm ordering a couple of these to test. DMX Zoom and DMX Shutters.

Oh, and no fan.

If you haven’t ordered them don’t.

They aren’t good. We have the 347 they suck beyond suck. Cheaply made. Optics are proprietary which makes sticking gobos in them hard. Will take a source 4 barrel but expect output to be decreased. The one motorized zoom we bought to test broke immediately. They only come with 3 pin so if you want 5 pin you have to modify them or spend money on 3-5s.

Don’t let the cheap price tag fool you and reviews on the website. They are hot garbage.

I didn’t get a say when they were purchased as I was to low on the totem pole to say hey don’t buy Chinese knock offs.

They are known around the valley as “Those Things ughh”

I constantly have to field calls from tech to explain how to use them and their quirks. Which some times consist of turning everything off and back on one at a time while replugging data to make them happy.

Also if that didn’t make things worse no real console profile.

You would have better luck with the audience using flash lights and a gel swatch over these fixtures from this company.

Good Luck

Let me know how loud the fan is.
Hung these today. They have some nice colour mixing and presets. Didn't notice the fans and we had them running in a quiet room for about an hour. Even when focusing them I only noticed the fan once but had my head right near them. They are dead hung about 16 to 18ft up I think. There were 8 on this hang. Set the zoom to 35deg and modified the profile so they went home to there. I have another 10 to hang in another space in a couple of weeks. Will see how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back