Another What Is It?

We were cleaning out our workshop today and came across the strange tool below. Even our sagely technical director could not identify it. Anyone recognize it?

It's labeled as a Cornwell P-534B. Searching that on all-knowing Google turned up nothing.

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 311
Could you Perhaps post another angle or two and posibly a description of what It seems to do, it looks like a cutting device of some sort from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking a spring-closed small-gauge wire cutter? It looks a lot like the telecom scissors I have for that use.
My other guess is (also spring-closed) pliers, for snap rings and other related hardware. Really handy for lamp retainers.

The tool is spring powered, but the spring is designed to keep the tool closed rather than open. Squeezing the handles opens the mouth. The inside is perfectly smooth and not very good at gripping things. The spring is not strong enough for it to be a clamp of any kind. It's only purpose seems to be to offer some resistance. On the outside of the tip there is some kind of grip. My guess is that the tool is meant to help pry something open.

It might be some type of plier, but I'm not used to squeezing a plier to open it.

mostly its used in mechanical and automotive. it is generally used to place snap rings where they are ment to go. Snap rings can hold bearings in place, space pistons within their respective housings. and even just hold the random rubber tube in place.

The PAR64 has a variant of a snap ring, to hold the lamp in place (at least, the old buggers I'm used to using have one). Also, we have MR11 downlights in our lobby that use snap rings for the lamps. That was what the random P64 reference was.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be, the only PAR64s nearby are about 15 feet in the air and I'm too lazy to get them) the ring in the back of a PAR64 is a tension ring, not unlike the ones found in the lens barrel of a 360Q. It's an almost full metal circle with two 'handles' that bend up. I don't see how this tool would help operate them - though if I'm wrong I would love to be corrected, as those tension rings are absolutely awful and anything designed for them would make my life easier.

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be, the only PAR64s nearby are about 15 feet in the air and I'm too lazy to get them) the ring in the back of a PAR64 is a tension ring, not unlike the ones found in the lens barrel of a 360Q. It's an almost full metal circle with two 'handles' that bend up. I don't see how this tool would help operate them - though if I'm wrong I would love to be corrected, as those tension rings are absolutely awful and anything designed for them would make my life easier.

From what I can tell the ends will open and push the ring open for removal/attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back