Automated Fixtures Apollo Gobo Rotator

LXPlot

Our school recently came into possesion of an Apollo Smart Move DMX Rotator 3-Channel. I was simply wondering if anybody has knowledge about this particular rotator; its most common errors, its benefits or weaknesses, creative uses of it, etc. I was also wondering if anybody has general knowledge or tips on gobo rotators in general that they wish to impart. Anyway, any help you might be able to give is appreciated, so...

Anyway, any help you might be able to give is appreciated, so...

You'll have fun discovering many effects when playing with the Smart Move, Noah. Many Smart Moves were installed in Disney Orlando years ago, and these are continuing to provide reliable and creative support for their lighting designers.

A recent purchase of several hundred Smart Move rotators were installed in Disney Tokyo. Lighting and accessory reliability is a concern for these venues, as many hours of use are expected from the Smart Moves.

From a design side, try using crushed dichroics or textured glass teamed with different radial and/or break-up patterns both in and out of the static slot. Above all, have fun using this tool.

The Smart Move was created to project motion AND emotion from your inner creative side-

Okay, awesome, thank you everyone. Can you guys recommend any specific gobos or effects? And could somebody elaborate on Xander's suggestion, because I can see a few nice ways to use it.

First not sure your experience level so I'll clarify we are talking about using a regular gobo in the normal gobo slot as the fixed gobo. Then use the rotator as well to create motion within the now defined space. Also note that just because you use color in the rotator doesn't mean you don't want to tweak it further with gel in the gel slot.

The best water/fire* effect I've created is to use a fixed gobo for the actual wave/fire pattern. Then using a dual rotator with a crushed dichroic for color and a breakup for motion. It's spectacular.

*Water and Fire are the same effect just turned 90 degree and change color.

You can also do things like put a leaf gobo in the fixed slot and use the rotator to provide a little slow motion like wind in the leaves.

You can do all kinds of cool things with geometric patterns in your static gobo slot and color and breakup in the rotator.

Does anyone have the link to that Dual Gobo Rotator Visualization Tool that was around here a couple years ago it's GREAT for teaching beginners. I can't find it in my personal links or on the site. (Have I mentioned that I hate the Google search tool?)

Last edited:
Does anyone have the link to that Dual Gobo Rotator Visualization Tool that was around here a couple years ago it's GREAT for teaching beginners. I can't find it in my personal links or on the site. (Have I mentioned that I hate the Google search tool?)

:twisted:

And I agree, it's a great tool, both for beginners and when you're trying to visualize a combination. I have it saved on my desktop and use it often.

First not sure your experience level

I have a good (by High School standards) amount of experience with basic lighting and design stuff. But I don't have a lot of experience with intelligent lighting; it's limited to a few Smart Color scrollers and a fog machine.

Thanks for that visualization tool by the way, that was pretty awesome.

I have a good (by High School standards) amount of experience with basic lighting and design stuff. But I don't have a lot of experience with intelligent lighting; it's limited to a few Smart Color scrollers and a fog machine.

Thanks for that visualization tool by the way, that was pretty awesome.

LXPlot,

As you continue to build up your lighting chops, keep an eye on the Apollo Youtube collection. KC Hooper, Rich Dale and other lighting professionals demonstrate a wide variety of lighting accessories and design tips.

YouTube - ApolloDesignTech's Channel

And please feel free to send any ideas or questions to me at [email protected] or dial me at 800-CUT-GOBO (800.288.4626) with your thoughts!

Hey, sorry to reincarnate a long-dead thread, but I just want to say that the above ideas on gobo rotators just helped me make an awesome looking waterfall effect for my first job as the head designer of a major show.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help.

Hey, sorry to reincarnate a long-dead thread, but I just want to say that the above ideas on gobo rotators just helped me make an awesome looking waterfall effect for my first job as the head designer of a major show.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help.

:clap: :discoball: :clap:

Pictures would be very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back