Audience faces burned, eye pain, blindness...

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Not sure I would dismiss it that quickly.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened in the region.

Given how COVID brought UV-C disinfection lighting heavily to market, it's not outside of the realm of possibility someone thought it'd be a great idea to throw them up as stage lights. Photos of the event make it look like they had some similar-style fixtures -- and there were other off-chute areas like below that could've had that style of fixture running -- where people could've been exposed to it in direct proximity for longer periods of time.

1699292504829.png

1699292590120.png

1699292804399.png

Which is to say, "stage lights" may not have been the cause -- but rather...lights that happened to be on-stage and as décor in other areas.

Unfiltered UV light can do a nasty number on people's eyes.

10 years ago I had a QC tech working on arc pars, and would burn them in pointing down with no lens in the fixture. After about 3 days of that he had to spend a week at home because his eyes swelled shut.

Most of those UV cleaning lights very specifically state that they are not to be used in occupied spaces. Some of them that's just for lawsuit protection, but some of them send off some very nasty spectrum.

Wasn't there a case a year or so ago where air cleaning uv lights had been used in a nightclub for Day-Glo lighting with similar outcome?

UV-C does not have many natural fluorescent substances. DAY GLO it ain't. The short wave lengths can easily burn skin and mucous membranes.

Absolutely; that's the point. The unskilled club owners just saw "UV" on the lamps and got no further into a spec than that, and fitted them as if they were regular make your clothes glow lamps. They were completely the wrong fixture to be in an exposed situation, and caused skin and eye burns.

Bitcoin/NFT/blockchain incels do dumb things but have convinced selves they're really smart and cool. More details as the story unf-zzzzZZZZzzzz. Shocked this happened around this bunch. Shocked I say.

BigClive just posted his analysis of the event
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back