Autocad Frustration

bobgaggle

Maybe this goes in off topic, but CAD is really making me mad lately. The new project is a kids play area for a museum, lots of concentric circles. Varying platform/bench/stair heights. I wish there was a "tube" command that would let you adjust both radii of a tube. Like, if I draw the skin of a curved wall as a 3d solid and realize later it needs to be 1" smaller, I have to delete the whole thing and redraw it. It would be awesome if I could just go in the properties and change the ID to x and the OD to y. This program is clunky when it comes to doing cylinders....

Capture.JPG

I'm not good with 3d AutoCAD but I understand your frustration. It's why I love Sketchup so much.

I think what you may be looking for is this, where you draw the 3D path that you want and then you draw a 2D profile to get extruded along the full length of the path.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Depending on what you're doing, it might be a lot easier though to draw in plan though and extrude vertically, like you would in Sketchup.

Depending on what you're doing, it might be a lot easier though to draw in plan though and extrude vertically, like you would in Sketchup.

That's usually how a draw, but lets say I draw 2 concentric cylinders, then SUBTRACT the smaller one from the larger one. Now I have a 3d solid with no way to modify either of the diameters. If I want a smaller bore I have to draw more cylinders. Inventor solved this pretty handily with the HOLE command. You can adjust the diameter whenever you want...