Automation in a Scale Model

np18358

I am woking on a project where I would like to include Automation elements in a 1/2" Scale Scenic Model. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I imagine just like with an actual tracking system, I would need to create a model with adequate room underneath to install the "dogs" and "knives". I would probably make the floor (most likely all of the theatre's architecture) out of a thin ply rather than the usual matte board or foam core. They would be Left to Right tracks, as well as a few DS/US Tracks, and perhaps a turntable. Would Stepper Motors be the best option? If so, is there a conducive way to program them (Cue them?).

Thanks.

I would look at Lego Mindstorms. Its not super cheap but for under $300 you can get four motors and four inputs working together. I haven't used the software in years but I seem to remember it being very simple to program. You might be able to get by an ardunio and a pile of parts but it will be a struggle to get it working like you want it to.
Or look at what the exhibit/window display folks do there might be some kits along that front, maybe even for doll houses or model trains.

You could also look into getting RC vehicle servos with either a controller or PC base. Many allow programmable modes, and the ones with computer software most definitely do. Horizon Hobby should have what you need. Many of these servos are stupidly strong and ridiculously precise, most for under $100 in kits with control units not much more than that. You'd also have access to manual control with an RC controller. Sounds a bit cheesy, but I promise it works (we use it for stage props on a larger scale).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back