The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Bar Clamps

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by ship, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

Just bought a black/red generic set of bar clamps from Lowes, not bad but easily bent/deflected the bar under load. This as opposed to the grey generic set from Menards that slip out of lock under load. Overall Pony brand clamps while more expensive I would continue buying.

Just a thought or hopefully a note that not all brands are alike when it comes to doing the work - don't fall into the much cheaper and looks the same type problem of equipping your shop at a reasonable price but not getting something quality.

2. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Harbor Freight anyone?

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

All bar clamps, regardless of the manufacturer, are more holders than clamps, in my opinion, especially the squeeze-trigger type. If you want true clamping power, the type that fit onto 1/2" or 3/4" BIP are the proper ones. And yes, most of my bar clamps, and ALL of my pipe clamps, came from Harbor Freight. The pipe came from my local HomeImprovementWarehouse, where I had to teach the employee how to use his pipe threader. Therefore, he did not charge me for the cutting/threading.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Bar Clamps? I thought those were what kept you from fall off your bar stool at opening night after parties.
    :rolleyes:

5. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

bar clamps I more define as a 1/4" x 3/4" steel bar with clamps on it. When I need real clamping power, or longer length I than go for the pipe based clamps or C-Clamps. Agreed on the squeeze trigger as with spring clamps being holders.

Concept for me being tight enough in clamping the glue pops out some, than fasten to hold there. Other stuff to just hold. Problem I was having was with the above bar clamps. This specifically them slipping under even adiquate tension.

6. len

len Well-Known Member

My dad is a cabinet maker (hobbyist) and he always called them pipe clamps, based on Derek's picture.