Bar Clamps

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Just bought a black/red generic set of bar clamps from Lowes, not bad but easily bent/deflected the bar under load. This as opposed to the grey generic set from Menards that slip out of lock under load. Overall Pony brand clamps while more expensive I would continue buying.

Just a thought or hopefully a note that not all brands are alike when it comes to doing the work - don't fall into the much cheaper and looks the same type problem of equipping your shop at a reasonable price but not getting something quality.

All bar clamps, regardless of the manufacturer, are more holders than clamps, in my opinion, especially the squeeze-trigger type. If you want true clamping power, the type that fit onto 1/2" or 3/4" BIP are the proper ones. And yes, most of my bar clamps, and ALL of my pipe clamps, came from Harbor Freight. The pipe came from my local HomeImprovementWarehouse, where I had to teach the employee how to use his pipe threader. Therefore, he did not charge me for the cutting/threading.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Bar Clamps? I thought those were what kept you from fall off your bar stool at opening night after parties.
:rolleyes:

bar clamps I more define as a 1/4" x 3/4" steel bar with clamps on it. When I need real clamping power, or longer length I than go for the pipe based clamps or C-Clamps. Agreed on the squeeze trigger as with spring clamps being holders.

Concept for me being tight enough in clamping the glue pops out some, than fasten to hold there. Other stuff to just hold. Problem I was having was with the above bar clamps. This specifically them slipping under even adiquate tension.

My dad is a cabinet maker (hobbyist) and he always called them pipe clamps, based on Derek's picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back