Beauty & The Beast... Which Colours too go with??

adude23

Hi There,

am LD on an up and coming production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast,

The rig currently consists of:

10 x Martin Mac 301 LED Wash's
5 x Martin Mac 250 Entour's
4 x Pixelline 1044's
2 x Jem Glaciator's
haze, smoke, and Jem AF1 Fans.

That's all the intelligent stuff sorted! haha
Now time to concentrate on my conventionals!
The 301's are going to provide the main saturated colour wash's and will provide me with deep rich blue's, purple's and greens and so on!

I'm now trying to create my warm and cold wash out of fresnels, and floods,

At the moment i've got L202 Doing the cold wash and L206 doing the warm,

Can anyone suggest any nicer colours?

I also want some nice amber side light to go with saturated Blue's of the MAC 301's!
The amber is going to be used as sunlight so would like some nice 'sunlight' sort of colours...sort of an oklahoma sort of look!

Can anyone suggest anything for that?

Have you done the show before?
If so what works well, what looked nice?

I'M NOT, REPEAT NOT!! out to copy anyone's design in any way shape or form, i'm simply after a bit of help with some nice colours as i'm usually use to doing rock 'n' roll stuff!

So am use to working with intelligent rather than conventional,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks again,

Any reason why there are no source 4s (or other ERS) in there? anyhow, sounds good, take a look through a swatchbook and find some that you like is probably the best idea that I have

There are source four's!
I didn't bother listing conventional stuff but here goes!,

3 x Source four 36's (Gobo Special's stained glass windows hopefully)
2 x Source four 70's (FOH cyc gobo projection)
4 x Source Four 90's (gobo wash)
1 x Tocaata EP Projector with custom glass slide (Beauty logo on cyc FOH)
7 x Par 16 (footlight)

Several Strand SL 15-32's (general boom and side light)

And numerous amounts of fresnels and Cyc batterns of which i'm not going to list! doing the main cold and warm wash's

I've looked through the numerous swatch books, but nothing really means anything until you get it in a fixture!

And as i havn't got the means to try anything yet i'm relying on people who have 'favourite colours' for different applications etc. who would be able to suggest to me some

Ah yes, now that is the question... And that really depends on the show and image your going for. Probably some nice saturated colors, I tend to like R385 (a deep blue with quite a bit of red), some sort of nice, saturated pink, a nice amber (R21 seems to work well), probably get a lighter blue in there. Colors I really like: R325 (an orangy red), R39 and R339 (two variations of pink that have nice saturation, R39 is a bit darker, R339 is brighter, both are kind of happy) R347, a nice purplish color, R69, a lighter blue, R385, a dark blue, R89, a nice sharp green, R96, a nice corrosive lime color, R99, a brown (great for a dim, warm wash, looks kind of dirty and old), R3202 (for making a very cold white), R21 (only amber I really like a lot), R302 for warm tint. I use mostly Rosco because thats what we stock, and the bean counters dont like going for other brands for some reason, but I personally like the Apollo samples that we were sent (cant say they are my favorite tho, because I dont use them in actual shows nearly ever). Also, in my experience, all manufacturers have some terrible colors, some good colors, and then there is that one color that you find by accident that is the most perfect color for something. Experiment a lot, I guess. Lee has a nice cool steel blue that works well, cant remember the number.

As for application, most of the saturated colors have some tints that work well with them, you just need to find one you like (which is always gonna be rough if your new to using gel and dont have stock cuts). Maybe rig up a pair of pars in the shop onto a wall thats about the color of the set, throw up a saturated color you like, and then drop cuts from different colors into the other instrument and find one you like. One thing to remember, you can pull a LOT of colors off if you use back and side light properly. However, since your doing color changing insturments for that, your frontlight is going to be basically finding a nice warm and a nice cool that work for full washes (I love using 3202 for a cool, NC for warm, and 3208 for any specials. However, this gives a very high temperature warm, compared to using R02 or something. I like that look personally, and tend to be able to sell it in the kind of shows I work on a lot. I also like the contrast between 5500K (or higher, basically an ML on N/C)and 3200K (Source 4 N/C) in concert settings, might work well in a musical? I dont know). Unless your going for dark and hard to see, I would avoid saturated colors in frontlight (but it can work). Maybe decide what you intend to do with the lights (are they providing straight visibility, or are they going to be responsible for something else?).

Anyhow, thats a brief summary of colors I like using and a slight expalination of how I like using them, hope it helped a bit.

That did indeed help me alot thankyou,

out comes the iphone and the colour conversion App for Lee!
We only use Lee because that's what most people state when they come into our venue,

But yes thanks alot, i think it's time to sit down and just do some proper research for a little while!

I will be posting pics of the show once complete which is at the beginning of April!

If anyone else still has any help on this particular show's colours i'd love to hear them,

Thanks again,

L153 is one of my favorite "musical comedy frontlight" colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back