Vintage Lighting Berkey-Colortran Q4M Spotlight

I am looking for information on these (presumably) Berkey-Colortran 4.5" Q4M adjustable spotlights. The inventory I have has no template holders or gel frames and I can find nothing to match the size. Any info would be appreciated.
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0910.JPG

Yep, Q4M is a Stage Lighting Discount number. Infact, I think your fixture is a knock-off/clone. Correct term is Berkey-Colortran Mini-Ellipse. Leviton pdf. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall colorframe being 6.25x6.25, same as SourceFour.

It's not a very good light, and I wouldn't spend money on accessories if I had any alternatives (like 360Q).

I know the Atheneum Theater in Chicago has six of thes Colortran lights (note to self, I don’t have one in antiques museum yet.) Might be able to borrow gel frame/gobo holder from them for copy otherwise if not available. Somewhat difficult to make gel frames and gobo holders, but can be done if one thinks thru how to do it. Remember you need a spacer between the fold as one part of that.
What might be more interesting would be a upgrade to the lamp/lamp socket assembly. I think while at risk of heat damage to the reflector and having to widen it’s lamp opening in the reflector, otherwise the upgraded lamp to say a GLA should work fine without heat problems to the fixture.
Cursed the Mini-Ellipse for the years I had to use them, think the lenses are also green - at least in the Colortran version. Atheneum acquired my old theater’s Leko’s. If they don’t have gel frames or gobo holders, sorry in my mistake - they would be in my gel file storage box. I do remember we bought gobo holders for at least some of the lights also. If they say they don’t have either, have them contact me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back