Colortran 24/48 Issues

Something3949

Hi, I'm sorry if there is already a discussion post out there about this issue, I went looking but couldn't find anything myself. My HS uses an Innovator Colortran 24/48 console to contorl our theathers lights, and there had been no issues with it for the longest of times. Over a recent break it was accidently left on, and when we returned it no longer worked to control the lights. The lights themselves didn't burnout, we were able to manually turn them on elsewhere. The board powers on juts fine, everything seems to be in functioning order, there is no overheat indicator, nothing that hints at any issue ion the monitor that is set up, it juts doesn't do anything.

I'm not sure if anyone has any idas or if the board is just borked, but any input would be grealty appreciated. Thank you and have a great day :)

Gonna ask the dumb questions first: is the Grand Master on the bottom right up at 100 and is the DMX/Data output line plugged into the correct port? How have you attempted to bring up lights- faders only or manual keypad entry and by channel or dimmer number?

Gonna ask the dumb questions first: is the Grand Master on the bottom right up at 100 and is the DMX/Data output line plugged into the correct port? How have you attempted to bring up lights- faders only or manual keypad entry and by channel or dimmer number?
Turns out that someone unbeknownst to anyone who useses the lights changed the channels that the lights were assigned to. Usually they were 1 - 73, but somehow they got swapped to 74 - 144, not sure who did it but we got it figured. Thank you for the help though

Hi, I'm sorry if there is already a discussion post out there about this issue, I went looking but couldn't find anything myself. My HS uses an Innovator Colortran 24/48 console to contorl our theathers lights, and there had been no issues with it for the longest of times. Over a recent break it was accidently left on, and when we returned it no longer worked to control the lights. The lights themselves didn't burnout, we were able to manually turn them on elsewhere. The board powers on juts fine, everything seems to be in functioning order, there is no overheat indicator, nothing that hints at any issue ion the monitor that is set up, it juts doesn't do anything.

I'm not sure if anyone has any idas or if the board is just borked, but any input would be grealty appreciated. Thank you and have a great day :)
Ummm, given how lighting has advanced since the early 90's, it may be time to retire that board and upgrade the system. The local HS I work will replaced the board that replaced their Colortran 24/48, although I did call it ouit of retirement for 1 show for supplemental channels, as I didn't understand how Expression 3 system was set up and couldn't add a couple DMX controlled lights too it. It should be an easy sell in a capital improvement project to update the lighting system in the space. Given that you'll likely need a new rack and complete distribution systerm, as well as a control board, it'll likely cost somewhere around $250k, depending on space size and uses. The space I work in does major lighting upgrades every 8-12yrs, and spend $125k on the last one, which was found on installation to have'n skipped one position, so we're lacking at least 10 lekos. Fortunately, I was heavily insistent on preserving the ability to still utilize the conventional fixtures in inventory until their end of life, as I believe taxpayers should get every penny of use out of the equipment they bought.

Back in the 2004-2005 time frame, my freshman year of college for lighting/scenery, the tech professor told me when I mentioned the board I'd used in HS, that they had one, it crashed during a show, and as it predated MS-Dos, not even the IT department could recover the show data off of it. One thing to think about, as your board dying mid-production puts you at a total show over event.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back