best lighting console for nightclub use?

anyone have a preference to a console geared towards nightclub dance lighting? I'm looking for a solution for club installs that operates such as the NSI MLC-16 but with more current features (such as effects engines and USB or better removable storage). In 10 years, and out of a broad range of prices, the NSI MLC-16 is the only board iv'e worked with at a sub $1.5 price point that can handle everything a nightclub needs. Even some $3k - 10K+ boards do not handle the nightclub environment like this console.
For example, the ability to program program patterns, and then change the traits of the pattern live (such as grab a fixture and use it as a spotlight while the rest of the pattern continues to progress as programmed), but then be able to release the changes you performed so that the pattern returns to the programmed state. That's really the biggest thing for nightclub use that I like. However, with the MLC-16, it has no effects engines so there is a much longer initial programming session. And the floppy disk drive is outdated.
The Elation show designers are close to having all the features I need but when you grab a fixture on one of those boards, you cant release it! you have to deselect it and then start the pattern over. That's a big dowfall for -on the fly- club work.
I'm opened to even software with midi hardware control but one way or another, I want to research a board that is very much geared towards nightclub intelligent light control. If you can't run a pattern and grab a fixture (or multiple fixtures) for manual control, and then release it back into the pattern with it's original programming, then it's not for me. So again, I guess I basically want the MLC-16, but beefed up with effects generators and up to date removable storage. Any other newer features would just be a nice welcome. Is there anything out there like this sub $3K?

hey,

i fully recommend the martin lightjockey controller. It is slightly more expensive at the 1.3k price range but it is by far the best night club controller you can find. You can easily program moving heads, leds, or conventionals and it also take full advantage of the lights you use. With things like Light Jockey Manager, you can set up your pallete to hit effects, fixtures, or positions in a click of a button. You can also matrix LED's to run programmed effects with LEDTRIX (in light jocket manager) to make even more of a jaw dropping show. just my 2 cents....

+1 for LJ. Still the best for this work, and now they are developing the "One Key" program which gives more flexibility to the hardware.

Also a fan of light jockey, but I recently snagged a Martin Xciter off eBay for a steal and am very, VERY pleased. The programming structure takes a few hours to go over and understand, but it's a great console for clubs and crazy parties

is there a hardware/midi controller or a proprietary controller that works with LJ? I am very familiar with LJ and have programmed numerous shows for clients on it. It's actually the only software package I have worked with however, I am a fan of real buttons and faders and joysticks over a mouse and keyboard. I never checked into hardware for it though. IS there something with an ample amount of hardware control that it works well with?

As an Elation Dealer, I'm about to check out the mix of CompuLive with their Midi controller as a demo for a week and see how that pans out.

There used to be Fingers, but it's discontinued. Hard to find used, since it's so in demand. That may change with the new One Key system, where you MAY be able to use Maxxyz wings with it. The Behringer BCF2000 is supposed to work with LJ, but I haven't tried it. You can also do dmx in if you have the newer universal USB or an old PCMCIA or one of the old internal cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back