Best material for front projection - at a budget cost

krisras

We are planning a production of Pippin and the director would like to incorporate, "projections for texture, "magic," effects, setting, and other aspects of the show. The set will function as a series of projection surfaces, in addition to traditional physical props and furniture (throne, table, etc.)" I've been looking at various fabrics for this purpose, including scrim and muslin. We're using a new, front screen projector in a hs auditorium. Any suggestions as to what fabric (leaning towards the lower budget variety) would work?

if you need cloth.. I've bought projection screen material from Amazon.. maybe 10 to 20 bucks for home theater size..
or really a white painted surface is good 'nuf.. I project a loop of coming attractions, info, and pics of old productions in our lobby
fully lit lobby 3000 lumen projector on an off white wall, and it looks great. Manage your spill and other lighting and a white flat surface will be fine.

The surface light is projected on is a critical component of the quality of projection. So, the "best" surface will be designed for projected light, and will likely not be cheap. How bright your projector is will only be part of the equation when determining what the audience can see.

The beauty of projection is that you can use virtually any surface. The difference is how much light is reflected, how much is absorbed, and how much is scattered. That being said, a surface that has an even field of view from pretty much anywhere in the audience will be something like muslin, as it scatters light in all directions. That means the image also appears dimmer since the light is more spread out. Actual projection material will focus the light in a predictable manner. The reflection is in the direction that the audience will likely be, scattering less light. This will make your image brighter.
So, a lot depends on your end goal. Are you wanting to paint this material? Do you want it to blend in with your set? Are you using it for more than one production?

The surface light is projected on is a critical component of the quality of projection. So, the "best" surface will be designed for projected light, and will likely not be cheap. How bright your projector is will only be part of the equation when determining what the audience can see.

The beauty of projection is that you can use virtually any surface. The difference is how much light is reflected, how much is absorbed, and how much is scattered. That being said, a surface that has an even field of view from pretty much anywhere in the audience will be something like muslin, as it scatters light in all directions. That means the image also appears dimmer since the light is more spread out. Actual projection material will focus the light in a predictable manner. The reflection is in the direction that the audience will likely be, scattering less light. This will make your image brighter.
So, a lot depends on your end goal. Are you wanting to paint this material? Do you want it to blend in with your set? Are you using it for more than one production?
Thank you for your response! I forsee making four or five "screens" of varying heights made of flats, mounted to a base with triple casters. These would have one side treated as a projectable screen, and the other sides painted and lined up with the other units to form scenery. The Players will move the units on the stage. (This will also enable us to move them all off the stage as required at the end of Pippin.) This is high school, so it's only for the one production. Should the side being used for projection be plain muslin or painted?

Should the side being used for projection be plain muslin or painted?
Are there times when some/all surfaces will NOT be projected upon? What do you want them to look like in those cases? I'm pretty sure we've discussed Screen Goo here in the past ( https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/best-paint-treatment-for-a-projection-surface.28247 ): some swear by it while others were unimpressed. It cost more than plain paint of course, but not by an astronomical amount.

Are there times when some/all surfaces will NOT be projected upon? What do you want them to look like in those cases? I'm pretty sure we've discussed Screen Goo here in the past ( https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/best-paint-treatment-for-a-projection-surface.28247 ): some swear by it while others were unimpressed. It cost more than plain paint of course, but not by an astronomical amount.
Yes - and that's what I'm trying to explain to the director - that anything on stage that's being projected on will just look like a blank surface. I'd rather build pieces that can be moved/turned around, so one side is scenic, the other the projection surface. I'll check out the screen goo, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back