BFA in Technical Theatre in California

Blake

Hey Guys and Gals,
Looking for up-to-date suggestions on Tech Theatre school in California. I have heard Cal State Fullerton may be the way to go? Any Pros or Cons? Any other suggestions for schools? I am open to moving elsewear but only for a very very good school!

What are you looking to get out of the program? Are you looking for a general education or do you want to specialize? Do you have financial concerns?

I really enjoy both sound and lighting, so I really couldn't pick between the 2. And yes I dont come from rich stock. nor are my grades scholarship worthy yet.

Perhaps too close to home, but I've always heard SDSU has a good program.

It appears as if their MFA in Design and Technical theatre requires a good about of make-up, costuming, set design etc. Things that I have very little interest in!

Unless you have a bachelors, your not going after a MFA anyway... so that is taken care of there.

But.... Any tech theatre program that is worth your time will require you to take classes in costumes, makeup, props, scenery, rendering, and just about anything else they can think of. Most schools require you work in either the scene shop or the costume shop every semester... no matter your major. Most require you to work in both shops for at least a semester. So, if you go into college thinking "costumes are only for sissys", better not go at all. Its because of my time in a costume shop that I can sew. It is also because of that time I know how to talk to a costume designer and not sound like an idiot.

Finally, if your grades are not top notch, your finances are not the best, and you don't think you would like some of the college theatre programs... you should probably read this thread:http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/education-career-development/29149-college-me.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back