Coming to the conclusion the tech has moved beyond my ability to keep up...

Ravenbar

I'm 37, and graduated with a degree in theater design and tech in 2008, although I've never worked in that field for profit. The director is the tech person for the school, and her husband(school superintendant) designs/builds/engineers the sets. My dayjob is as a equipment operator in a recycling plant.

I'm the lighting guy for the local HS's spring musical (for a decade+; design/tech/programming/board op all fall on me), although I've mentioned I'd like to move away from that role in the past year or 2, as I'm more a tech, and not a designer(and my colege experience with the Express/Expression systems and entirely conventional fixtures, left me nowhere near prepared for the LED system installed during the pandemic, controlled by an ETC ION xe console.; and I have been unhappy with my designs for several years(primarily because the new LED system leaves too many things set in stone in a conventional system(primarily color), but also focus and beam palettes for moving fixtures(we gained 6), and the complication of my mind working with a record everything type board(Espress/Expression), and moving into a type tracking board, which make it very hard to use my design with fader mentality, as lights I brought on via fader in the past scene for a quick fix remain on)); whilst working with a scenery dept and director that change things up until the last minute. The set is constantly morphing, and oj a show that opens this Thu, there are still scenic elements not spikes that I need to precisely aim lights at, and zero documentation, beyond a few pictures, as to what the set even looks like. That makes the lighting job a 10hr week during tech week, and I've already spent nearly that amount of time guestimating where lights need to be pointed, and focusing them, often to refocus them several times. I'm other words, a step back onto the tech support side of things may be in order, which preshow emails kind of indicated, but only to the point that our first show meeting was partially being put on the spot as to if I was too bored of it to continue doing the lighting, as I'd asked for an assistant and/or training(which was promised, but the provider couldn't fit it in) as the new system was throwing me for that much of a loop for the past few years.. I will mention that the year round shool person that handles the lighting can only identify a Propar, and has no idea what any of the other fixtures even are.

I've got a feeling a discussion post show is in order, regarding future shows. Prehaps they need to thing about bringing in someone else as the designer, whist I can guide them on the technical aspects of the system, and also handle the other toys of the show, such as the 5 fog machines(3 of the ChauvetDJ Geyser P7's and 2 Antari Ice-101's) in use this year. 2 days ago, I said I was more confident going into this show than I've been in years. After the first dress rehearsal, I'm less than confident I can deliver a satisfactory(to me) product. Much of which is the result of an extreme variety of "spots" on stage to light, often in between my designed zones; and for this show, a great number of 2nd floor set positions leave no way to light them,

That sounds like a tough spot to be in. It sounds like your faced with the double edged problem of not enough training (that you've clearly identified), and not being involved enough in the process. Or maybe just not being heard. It sounds like the rest of your design team (sets, costumes, staging, choreography, etc) has unfair expectations of what you can adapt to.

I don't know what your design meetings/planning look like, but I think you need to get a little more heard there about what you can realistically accomplish, and what kind of changes you can adapt to within your timeframe and skillset.

Bad news; keeping up with technology never ends. But the good news is that the Ion is ETC gear and they have some terrific free training videos online. Familiarize yourself with it and I promise you'll never want to go back.

The second part of your frustration seems to stem from problems that are sort of inherent to amateur theatre - namely, you're working with amateurs. They were probably promised help that never materialized too. I can't say whether you can learn to roll with the punches, only you can. But (amateur) directors who change things up until the last minute are probably more the rule than the exception.

Dont forget that you can download the Nomad software to your pc and play with your show file at home and experiment away with the capabilities of the software.
I'm 65... had to go from the etc 96 to the ion when I was about 55. Slightly steep learning curve, but now I loves me my magic sheet. I've never used tracking, or a manual "fader" paradigm. I do set submasters for "safety" if I screw something up with phat phinger syndrome.
I just set what the cue is to look like, and go cue to cue, adjusting the up and down and color change times accordingly. I do use color palates and focus palates now with the led and the movers. I learned color change with scrollers, so already had the "blind move" mentality for setting cues. I'm self trained/trained by other volunteers. Community theater.. you can do it. But I always have a frank discussion with director and set designer before anything goes to paper about our standard areas, and with low proscenium and limited fixtures not to build any damn platforms above 4 feet.. Our teasers are at 12.... So if you build a 6 foot platform, the actors head is brushing the teaser and His face is in the dark to boot. It's OK to be pushy on this.. you will feel better about the process, and to be frank, they don't have a long line of people with your skills standing in the wings willing to do this. Make it fun again. Some directors will never grasp these concepts.. and then yep.. you have to decide whether it's worth the pain. But unless you speak up.. FIRMLY.. you will never know.

Last edited:
I'm 37, and graduated with a degree in theater design and tech in 2008, although I've never worked in that field for profit. The director is the tech person for the school, and her husband(school superintendant) designs/builds/engineers the sets. My dayjob is as a equipment operator in a recycling plant.

I'm the lighting guy for the local HS's spring musical (for a decade+; design/tech/programming/board op all fall on me), although I've mentioned I'd like to move away from that role in the past year or 2, as I'm more a tech, and not a designer(and my colege experience with the Express/Expression systems and entirely conventional fixtures, left me nowhere near prepared for the LED system installed during the t bringing in someone else as the designer, whist I can guide them on the technical aspects of the system, and also handle the other toys of the show, such as the 5 fog machines(3 of the ChauvetDJ Geyser P7's and 2 Antari Ice-101's) in use this year. 2 days ago, I said I was more confident going into this show than I've been in years. After the first dress rehearsal, I'm less than confident I can deliver a satisfactory(to me) product. Much of which is the result of an extreme variety of "spots" on stage to light, often in between my designed zones; and for this show, a great number of 2nd floor set positions leave no way to light them,
The other thing I do to to program my shows is to video a later rehearsal once things are more "fixed" and I can program colors transitions and areas to the video and not feel like I'm chasing my tail. I do it with a bare stage on a weekend, or even bring in my son to push set pieces around. Then adjustments on the fly during live rehearsal are much easier when I have a really solid framework already programmed. You could also do it with Nomad if you have a good magic sheet representation of your hang.

One issue I've seen in our theatre is related to the building from faders model. It's important to remember that unlike with older intensity only desks, a channel that is off still has colour, position etc information. So if you say set a spot at full in cold white, say channel 1, then hit record sub 1 enter, you record the entire look, including the channels that are off. So if you later set up a look with lots of channels, then bring up that sub, you'll affect the colours of all the other channels too. I was asked this a few times; why when I push up my sub does the whole stage change?

Part of the answer is to be selective when you record e.g.1 record sub 1 enter will  only record channel 1 to the sub. That alone may be all you need. If you want the sub to change only the intensity then 1 intensity record sub 1 enter means sub 1 now only fades and won't affect colour or position. So plan what you want your faders to do and find out how the board will fo it. For example if you set a sub to be an intensity master then when you move it off zero it will bump to the colour and position recorded into it if it isn't already there.

Much the same goes for palettes and presets - think about only recording the relevant channels and parameters.

I found my way in to the industry at the age of 50 (about 5 years ago) and have learnt lots.
As for selective recording, it is what I do lots of. I don't use many subs for programming but i use it in creating pallets. That way I only get what I want.
If you do use subs to program and you have found that you recorded information in subs that you didn't want you can filter your subs for channel numbers and parameters.
There are so many ways to skin that cat. You need to work out what works for you. When it comes to working with others if you go to them with problems (like I can't hit that spot because it is too high) go to them with solutions like If that platform was lower I can get the light on the actor. Be a solution not a problem is what I have been told in the past. Stand firm and get some great results.
As for learning the ETC products, as mentioned there are some really great videos and files for you to play with at home. We have been working on an augmented model which will be a grreat trainingt ool for those who start working with us to learn things without being in the theatre.
There is always lots to learn so take a deep breath and jump in the deep end,
Enjoy your time in the theatre and I hope you will be able to look back on it with fond memories.
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back