Bistro/festoon light supports

Most of us in the eventing business are familiar with bistro/festoon/string/cafe lights that look like the attached picture.
Typically the light strings are zip tied to aircraft cable which is strung up to some type of existing support structure. Usually we are lucky to have trees, tent frames, or other suitable supports. When these aren't available, we move to truss totems or sch40 pipe and base. These two items of course require significant ballast to resist tipping, and the height is fixed. The fixed height occasionally presents a problem in adjusting the arc of the hanging bistro strand as when hanging several parallel strands we want the arc to be the same on each one. And, nobody enjoys hauling tons of 50 lb bases and sandbags out to the middle of a field.

One of my techs suggests "just use an adjustable pipe and drape upright and some tent stakes."

I'm curious what the team here thinks of this. Suppose we did a set of three adjustable drape uprights in a line. Pound a 4' tent stake halfway in the ground and slip the drape upright over it (as though it were a drape base pin). The upright on each end would have two guy lines staked in opposite the lighting hang.

Does this seem sketchy? Am I missing a simpler way to do this?

Attachments

• bistro over dancefloor.jpg
    bistro over dancefloor.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 206
I don't see an obvious drawback to this but whenever you use a piece of equipment for a purpose for which it was not intended, there might be problems. Drape base pins fit closely into the vertical support to minimize any lean. If it was supported by a tent stake it seems it would wiggle in any direction. Quick drape support systems are typically designed for indoor use. I don't know how this would react to wind. In addition, the supports are a lighter duty aluminum and would not take the abuse as would steel supports.

Pipe and drape poles are pretty flimsy. You would need some serious weight at the base. I don't think staking it will do well. And plus a trip hazzard.

However if it were me and there was a surplus of uprights and sandbags. I would do four corners. Then AC cable to make your own lines to hang on in a square and X pattern.

And plus a trip hazzard.

I think OP meant something like this. And sliding the pipe over it. Rather than the trip hazard of running guy lines down to actual tent stakes in the ground. Seems like it would work. But you'd get lean, which may be a deal breaker for aesthetics.

If you're doing this set up for a lot of events and holes in the ground aren't a big deal to the property owner, it might be worth it to invest in dedicated pipes (heavier gauge than pipe and drape) that you can set directly into the ground. Slice an angle on the end like a punji stake and drive them with a post driver.

Plastic drums that support pipe, and fill drum with water, might work. 4 corners. 8 "spokes" - corners and mid sides. Do a dressy little "skirt" or cover for the drums.

Plastic drums that support pipe, and fill drum with water, might work. 4 corners. 8 "spokes" - corners and mid sides. Do a dressy little "skirt" or cover for the drums.

Then you gotta bring a water truck or pay the venue some incredible amount of money. (at least in my limited experience of paying venues to fill water barrels)

Then you gotta bring a water truck or pay the venue some incredible amount of money. (at least in my limited experience of paying venues to fill water barrels)
I was picturing outdoors at a wedding or private event. Yes, if you have to pay for water, may not be do good. So either carry a lot of weight or use guy lines. I'll be honest, I don't know if driving a stake through a patio or driveway costs more or less than water.

Ha, well i figured they were out in a field somewhere

I was picturing outdoors at a wedding or private event. Yes, if you have to pay for water, may not be do good. So either carry a lot of weight or use guy lines. I'll be honest, I don't know if driving a stake through a patio or driveway costs more or less than water.
@BillConnerFASTC A major portion of the cost could be the quality of the "antifreeze" you're employing to dilute your water. Jack Daniels is one thing, Glenn Morange another.
@GreyWyvern what do you think?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back